From: Dieter Britz on
I learned Cobol as one of several languages many years ago (about 1980)
and although many people laughed at this crazy language, I was told that
80% of all programs in the world are in Cobol. What is the situation today?
Has Cobol developed as Fortran did (another language some laugh at, not
knowing that it has indeed developed).
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
From: Alistair Maclean on
On May 26, 7:56 am, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I learned Cobol as one of several languages many years ago (about 1980)
> and although many people laughed at this crazy language, I was told that
> 80% of all programs in the world are in Cobol. What is the situation today?
> Has Cobol developed as Fortran did (another language some laugh at, not
> knowing that it has indeed developed).
> --
> Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)

Cobol has developed with various standards upto about 2002. It is even
capable of object orientation coding using Invokes.

80% of code in the world (not counting the millions of lines of code
in Windows OSs) is still in Cobol.

Depending upon whom you ask you will get different answers as to
whether it is still/should be used tocay. It is still in common use;
new systems are being developed in Cobol (eg Cost Modelling and Cost
Calculation systems for TNT) and some people do still love it.
From: Anonymous on
In article <htih0l$796$1(a)news.net.uni-c.dk>,
Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I learned Cobol as one of several languages many years ago (about 1980)
>and although many people laughed at this crazy language, I was told that
>80% of all programs in the world are in Cobol. What is the situation today?

I am not sure what to make of your use of the definite article in that
last sentence. In my experience - limited as it may be - COBOL puts bread
on my table and butter on my bread today, just as it has for quite a few
other 'todays'.

DD
From: robertwessel2 on
On May 26, 1:56 am, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I learned Cobol as one of several languages many years ago (about 1980)
> and although many people laughed at this crazy language, I was told that
> 80% of all programs in the world are in Cobol. What is the situation today?
> Has Cobol developed as Fortran did (another language some laugh at, not
> knowing that it has indeed developed).

That sort of stat keeps popping up, and is clearly bogus. There are
probably on the order of 15 million programmers in the world, and the
highest estimates of programmers working in Cobol run to about a
million. And of course most programmers often write code in something
other than their primary language, even if just for scripting
purposes. And assuming that we have 50 years of accumulated effort by
those million Cobol programmers (and unrealistically all of their work
is actually in Cobol), to get to at least 21%, the other 14 million
would have to labor about 11 *months*. Obviously the longevity of
code and productivity need to be factored in, but the difference is so
large that they won't make a meaningful difference.

This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
the worlds data" or something like that. One of those might have been
true in 1980, but now it's just BS.
From: Pete Dashwood on
robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 26, 1:56 am, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I learned Cobol as one of several languages many years ago (about
>> 1980) and although many people laughed at this crazy language, I was
>> told that 80% of all programs in the world are in Cobol. What is the
>> situation today? Has Cobol developed as Fortran did (another
>> language some laugh at, not knowing that it has indeed developed).
>

> That sort of stat keeps popping up, and is clearly bogus. There are
> probably on the order of 15 million programmers in the world, and the
> highest estimates of programmers working in Cobol run to about a
> million. And of course most programmers often write code in something
> other than their primary language, even if just for scripting
> purposes. And assuming that we have 50 years of accumulated effort by
> those million Cobol programmers (and unrealistically all of their work
> is actually in Cobol), to get to at least 21%, the other 14 million
> would have to labor about 11 *months*. Obviously the longevity of
> code and productivity need to be factored in, but the difference is so
> large that they won't make a meaningful difference.
>
> This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
> the worlds data" or something like that. One of those might have been
> true in 1980, but now it's just BS.

I thought I was the only one who didn't believe it... :-) Pleased to see
that there are other people who think about stuff like this too.

It arose out of a Gartner report that is now around 20 years old. Gartner
had a vested interest in COBOL, having been retained by some large COBOL
users.

It doesn't take into account the fact that every year this "COBOL code base"
is being eroded by more and more companies refactoring their COBOL
processing, moving to OO languages like Java, VB.NET, and C#, replacing
their COBOL base with packages like Siebel and SAP, and generally
outsourcing their IT development requirements.

It is pretty much impossible to get accurate figures as to who is using what
and I have seen silly figures quoted for Java, C++, PHP, and C#, so COBOL
is not alone in this.

There seems to be some kind of "cuddle blanket" effect in thinking that a
language is popular. Should it matter? Only as far as getting practitioners
of it and support for it, I would've thought. Programming languages should
not be selected based on their popularity; they should be selected on their
cost and fit for purpose. (That's why I use C#... I really don't care if
nobody else in the world uses it, as long as I can get help and support 24/7
for free (and I can))

Probably the nearest we can get to an unbiased estimate is found here:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Although this is an excellent site it still can't quantify the various
languages. It DOES state how it arrives at its conclusions and it says that
the number of known skilled practitioners is factored into the mix. It is
also careful to state that it is NOT measuring existing lines of code.

Pete.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: How to talk like a programmer