From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:15:46 -0700 (PDT), "robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com"
<robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
>the worlds data" or something like that. One of those might have been
>true in 1980, but now it's just BS.

We would need to definition of both "code" and of "programs" that we
could agree upon. But it is clear that such definitions don't
really apply.

And certainly we aren't counting microcode in radios, stoplights,
phones, etc.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 14:34:41 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>It doesn't take into account the fact that every year this "COBOL code base"
>is being eroded by more and more companies refactoring their COBOL
>processing, moving to OO languages like Java, VB.NET, and C#, replacing
>their COBOL base with packages like Siebel and SAP, and generally
>outsourcing their IT development requirements.
>
>It is pretty much impossible to get accurate figures as to who is using what
>and I have seen silly figures quoted for Java, C++, PHP, and C#, so COBOL
>is not alone in this.

Every bit of Java downloaded and run within a browser on your phone is
"code". As are formulae in a spread sheet, and the instructions
telling your computer what you want to connect to when you boot.

- James Madison
From: Non scrivetemi on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:15:46 -0700 (PDT), "robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com"
<robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> >This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
> >the worlds data" or something like that. One of those might have been
> >true in 1980, but now it's just BS.

True, now it's amount 90%.

> We would need to definition of both "code" and of "programs" that we
> could agree upon. But it is clear that such definitions don't
> really apply.

Definitions do apply, or somebody doesn't know what he's talking about.

> And certainly we aren't counting microcode in radios, stoplights,
> phones, etc.

Those devices don't have much if any microcode.

From: robertwessel2 on
On May 27, 9:34 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> There seems to be some kind of "cuddle blanket" effect in thinking that a
> language is popular. Should it matter?  Only as far as getting practitioners
> of it and support for it, I would've thought. Programming languages should
> not be selected based on their popularity; they should be selected on their
> cost and fit for purpose. (That's why I use C#... I really don't care if
> nobody else in the world uses it, as long as I can get help and support 24/7
> for free (and I can))

It matters to the extent that popularity is a proxy for likely
longevity and breadth of support. C is a perfect example. It's not a
great language (although as low level languages go, it's not
horrible), but you can expect, at least to a significantly higher
degree than any other language, that there will be an actively
supported C compiler available for whatever platform* you'll be
wanting to run your code on in a decade. And popularity also impacts
quality (again, it's not a direct relationships), in that many users
probably equate to high quality compilers, libraries and development
environments.

Of course our planning horizon is not usually quite that long, but
many of us work on multi-platform projects, or projects intended to be
multi-platform in the not too distant future.

That being said, I also like C# for stuff, especially interactive
stuff, that I know is going to run on Windows.

*Fully acknowledging that writing portable C or C++ code is rather
harder than just writing in C or C++, but it is, with some care,
possible and practical.
From: robertwessel2 on
On May 28, 9:14 am, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:15:46 -0700 (PDT), "robertwess...(a)yahoo.com"
>
> <robertwess...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
> >the worlds data" or something like that.  One of those might have been
> >true in 1980, but now it's just BS.
>
> We would need to definition of both "code" and of "programs" that we
> could agree upon.    But it is clear that such definitions don't
> really apply.
>
> And certainly we aren't counting microcode in radios, stoplights,
> phones, etc.

Very little of that is what's properly called microcode. Most
embedded code runs on fairly conventional processors (quite small
processors, in some cases), and is not microcode. Certainly most
stoplights don't have any "real" microcode (except what might be
embedded in the CPU), radios (including cell phones) might well have
some of the signal processing side driven by microcode, but the vast
majority of code the run is ordinary (the iPhone for example, is
basically a thin version of MacOS, Android is a Linux port).

But we generally *do* count the code in embedded systems, but it
doesn't make all that much of a difference to the totals. Small
embedded systems tend to have relatively small amounts of code
(although they're sometimes deployed on very large numbers of devices
- whatever code Apple wrote for the iPod version X only counts once,
even if the did sell 50 million of them). Larger embedded systems
tend to look a lot like any other programming environment (consider
the 3270 emulator on your iPhone - other than being targeted at a
fairly small platform, it's not written any differently than your 3270
emulator for your PC or Mac). And while many embedded systems have
unusual requirements (realtime, reliability, etc.), the larger the
system, the more localized those requirements are.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: How to talk like a programmer
Next: Ping Warren Simmons