From: Anonymous on
In article <1636d465-1598-4f5d-815d-a23b6d8fe052(a)d12g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair Maclean <alistair.j.l.maclean(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>On May 31, 4:05?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

[snip]

>> Of course... that doesn't allow a participant to toss off a 'you just
>> don't know what you're talking about' without running the risk of
>> appearing a fool... but what is Life without a bit of Risk?
>
>If we can not get our definitions right, etc., then is it more a
>wonder that our code ever works?

Answering a question with a question is no answer at all, Mr Maclean; if
one defines 'our code works' as 'the writing of source-statements causes a
paycheck to clear an appropriately-directed bank account (or a reasonable
technological facsimile thereof, eg 'direct deposit') then it seems that
things have been working for a few posters here for decades and decades.

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 14:34:41 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>There seems to be some kind of "cuddle blanket" effect in thinking that a
>language is popular. Should it matter? Only as far as getting practitioners
>of it and support for it, I would've thought. Programming languages should
>not be selected based on their popularity; they should be selected on their
>cost and fit for purpose.

If their purpose is to make a company more profitable, then "getting
practitioners of it and support for it" can be at the top of the list
in such a selection process.

- James Madison
From: Fritz Wuehler on
Physician, heal thyself (get an education instead of babbling!)

From: Anonymous on
In article <bc58ea4fe287bdace41d37d77768c646(a)msgid.frell.theremailer.net>,
Fritz Wuehler <fritz(a)spamexpire-201006.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>Physician, heal thyself (get an education instead of babbling!)

Mr Wuehler, that's a bit cryptic... might you be so kind as to offer an
example of the behavior of which you disapprove? Start with the
definitions I've posited and feel free to move forward from there.

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:24:10 -0700 (PDT), Alistair Maclean
<alistair.j.l.maclean(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>If we can not get our definitions right, etc., then is it more a
>wonder that our code ever works?

Often times it doesn't matter that definitions can vary across the
industry.

If my user calls a file a database, and I understand what he means, I
will work with him.

- James Madison
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7