From: SkippyPB on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:20:35 -0700 (PDT), "robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com"
<robertwessel2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On May 28, 9:14�am, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:15:46 -0700 (PDT), "robertwess...(a)yahoo.com"
>>
>> <robertwess...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >This statistic is often told as '80% of active code" or "80 percent of
>> >the worlds data" or something like that. �One of those might have been
>> >true in 1980, but now it's just BS.
>>
>> We would need to definition of both "code" and of "programs" that we
>> could agree upon. � �But it is clear that such definitions don't
>> really apply.
>>
>> And certainly we aren't counting microcode in radios, stoplights,
>> phones, etc. � �
>

>Very little of that is what's properly called microcode. Most
>embedded code runs on fairly conventional processors (quite small
>processors, in some cases), and is not microcode. Certainly most
>stoplights don't have any "real" microcode (except what might be
>embedded in the CPU), radios (including cell phones) might well have
>some of the signal processing side driven by microcode, but the vast
>majority of code the run is ordinary (the iPhone for example, is
>basically a thin version of MacOS, Android is a Linux port).
>
>But we generally *do* count the code in embedded systems, but it
>doesn't make all that much of a difference to the totals. Small
>embedded systems tend to have relatively small amounts of code
>(although they're sometimes deployed on very large numbers of devices
>- whatever code Apple wrote for the iPod version X only counts once,
>even if the did sell 50 million of them). Larger embedded systems
>tend to look a lot like any other programming environment (consider
>the 3270 emulator on your iPhone - other than being targeted at a
>fairly small platform, it's not written any differently than your 3270
>emulator for your PC or Mac). And while many embedded systems have
>unusual requirements (realtime, reliability, etc.), the larger the
>system, the more localized those requirements are.

Here is the definition of microcode as stated by PC Magazine:

Definition of: microcode

A set of elementary instructions in a complex instruction set computer
(CISC). The microcode resides in a separate high-speed memory and
functions as a translation layer between the machine instructions and
the circuit level of the computer. Microcode enables the computer
designer to create machine instructions without having to design
electronic circuits. Writing microcode is called "microprogramming,"
and the microcode for a given computer is called a "microprogram."

RISC computers do not use microcode, which is the reason why RISC
compilers generate more instructions than CISC compilers.

Regards,
--

////
(o o)

"It's not getting any smarter out there, people. You have to come to
terms with stupidity and make it work for you."
-- Frank Zappa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve
From: Fritz Wuehler on
> >Those devices don't have much if any microcode.
>
> Oh but they do. They all have microchips in them. And microchips are
> nothing more than code turned into a circuit. It may be something
> simple like, current present, turn light on, current not present, turn
> light off. But it is code nonetheless.

Oh but they don't. You don't understand the difference between code and
microcode. All code runs on a microprocessor. That doesn't make it
microcode.

> But it is code nonetheless.

Nobody said it isn't code. You said it's microcode, now you're saying it's
code. You seem confused.

From: Anonymous on
In article <b12ffa82eb23fb9938f6582510bed4af(a)msgid.frell.theremailer.net>,
Fritz Wuehler <fritz(a)spamexpire-201005.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>> >Those devices don't have much if any microcode.
>>
>> Oh but they do. They all have microchips in them. And microchips are
>> nothing more than code turned into a circuit. It may be something
>> simple like, current present, turn light on, current not present, turn
>> light off. But it is code nonetheless.
>
>Oh but they don't. You don't understand the difference between code and
>microcode. All code runs on a microprocessor. That doesn't make it
>microcode.

Note, class, the difficulties which can arise when one, by causes which
include laziness, ego, 'I thought *Everyone Knew* that*...', neglects the
structures left by the Architects whose works have proven their worth for
millennia. As Euclid constructed his Geometry, a work which not only
stands in theory but in the practise which allows buildings to outlast the
dynasties which constructed them, one begins:

I: Definitions.

II: Postulates.

III: Common Notions.

IV: Proposotions which are to be proven using *only* reason (logos) and
that which precedes the reasoning has shown to be demonsatrable.

Here, it seems, there is a demonstration of 'what you are calling (x)
isn't (x)' so it obvious that you don't understand (x) from its very
basics. This makes you, technically speaking, a poopie-head.'

Consider Mr Wuehler's asseretion that 'All code runs on a microprocessor'.
Those who have sat at benches, carefully putting letters into blocks,
might be surprised that they were not - and may never have! - been writing
code because COBOL does not 'run on a microprocessor'... the instructions
into which the source code has been manipulated are the ones the
microprocessor executes.'

(Oh... and never mind the fact that folks were 'writing code' before
microprocessors were invented, that just muddles things further.)

*Please*, gentlemen... when a disaggreement of such a nature arises you
might consider the value of falling back on The Basics.

If one's desire is to learn, rather than demonstrate superiority, this may
prove to be a better method: admit to ignorance, state one's definitions,
postulates, common notions, proposition and proof and conclude 'this would
appear to refute your assertion of (x). Where do our disagreements lie?'

Of course... that doesn't allow a participant to toss off a 'you just
don't know what you're talking about' without running the risk of
appearing a fool... but what is Life without a bit of Risk?

DD

From: George Orwell on
Too long to read, but you're still wrong.

https://www.mixmaster.it

From: Anonymous on
In article <5a389e3ce5092a807fbd0b2e9d57b251(a)mixmaster.it>,
George Orwell <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote:
>Too long to read, but you're still wrong.

'I did not read it but can make assertions about how correct it is.'
Perhaps, class, this is another lesson in it'sself but it serves well to
demonstrate the lesson previously given.

DD

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: How to talk like a programmer