From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:
>> It depends entirely in the context and use.
>> If you have a fixed list of itmes (IMO < ~25) then use a combobox.
>
> What is wrong with a much larger list than 25? Several of my
> comboboxes have lists of 0 to 127 and one has 0 to 3000. In all cases
> the number typed (which one would have to type out in full in the case
> of a textbox) is located instantly in the combobox using the typomatic
> code I mentioned.

You know about the typomatic (I like that spelling), and I know about
it, but do your users? I'd guess most don't. Ever watched someone "go
to" a website by typing its name into the google search bar, then
clicking on the first link to come up?

No, you don't. http://vb.mvps.org/samples/UpDown

Not necessarily. http://vb.mvps.org/samples/UpDown

> Thirdly, I dislike it intensely, with its miniscule arrows!

Admitting it's a personal problem is at least honest. ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: MM on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:53:11 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>>> It depends entirely in the context and use.
>>> If you have a fixed list of itmes (IMO < ~25) then use a combobox.
>>
>> What is wrong with a much larger list than 25? Several of my
>> comboboxes have lists of 0 to 127 and one has 0 to 3000. In all cases
>> the number typed (which one would have to type out in full in the case
>> of a textbox) is located instantly in the combobox using the typomatic
>> code I mentioned.
>
>You know about the typomatic (I like that spelling), and I know about
>it, but do your users? I'd guess most don't.

What's to know? They see a field, they tab to it, or it already has
the focus, or they click on it, or they use the shortcut in the
associated label, then they start typing OR they use it as a combobox.
It would be a lot harder teaching people how to touch their toes.

> Ever watched someone "go
>to" a website by typing its name into the google search bar, then
>clicking on the first link to come up?

Nope.

>>> If you want freeform text, a textbox
>>> If you want a number, a numberbox (textbox with an updown control).
>>
>> The UpDown control requires MSCOMCT2.OCX, which may or may not be
>> included as standard on all op systems.
>
>No, you don't. http://vb.mvps.org/samples/UpDown

Don't what? The help file states:
"To use the UpDown control in your application, you must add the
MSCOMCT2.OCX file to the project. When distributing your application,
install the MSCOMCT2.OCX file in the user's Microsoft Windows SYSTEM
directory."

I want this app to work with minimal extra controls, which is why I
also go for user controls that can be incorporated into the exe
wherever possible. And the combobox is one of the basic controls,
n'est-ce pas?

>> Also, it doesn't stop me from
>> typing an invalid value into the associated textbox (unless I provide
>> additional checking code, which I avoid with my combobox
>> implementation).
>
>Not necessarily. http://vb.mvps.org/samples/UpDown

Do you or do you not need additional code to check input?

>> Thirdly, I dislike it intensely, with its miniscule arrows!
>
>Admitting it's a personal problem is at least honest. ;-)

No, a personal problem would be excessive body odour or failure to get
wood. Simply disliking a particular control ain't a personal problem,
unless you've got issues.

MM
From: Dee Earley on
On 22/02/2010 18:07, MM wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:14:26 +0000, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 22/02/2010 16:14, MM wrote:
>>> What do others think about replacing textboxes with comboboxes like
>>> this?
>>
>> It depends entirely in the context and use.
>> If you have a fixed list of itmes (IMO< ~25) then use a combobox.
>
> What is wrong with a much larger list than 25?

Practicality (Did I say it was IMO?)
Anything more, maybe a tree, or a combination of text and a dropdown
with auto complete.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: MM on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:43:21 +0000, Dee Earley
<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>On 22/02/2010 18:07, MM wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:14:26 +0000, Dee Earley
>> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends entirely in the context and use.
>>> If you have a fixed list of itmes (IMO< ~25) then use a combobox.
>>
>> What is wrong with a much larger list than 25?
>
>Practicality (Did I say it was IMO?)
>Anything more, maybe a tree, or a combination of text and a dropdown
>with auto complete.

But there is NO difference in responsiveness whether the dropdown list
contains 25, 250, or 2500 items. Over 25,000 and I'd say you might
have a point, but I have done extensive testing and there is no
degradation in performance.

MM
From: Dee Earley on
On 23/02/2010 13:55, MM wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:43:21 +0000, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 22/02/2010 18:07, MM wrote:

>>> What is wrong with a much larger list than 25?
>>
>> Practicality (Did I say it was IMO?)
>> Anything more, maybe a tree, or a combination of text and a dropdown
>> with auto complete.
>
> But there is NO difference in responsiveness whether the dropdown list
> contains 25, 250, or 2500 items. Over 25,000 and I'd say you might
> have a point, but I have done extensive testing and there is no
> degradation in performance.

I didn't say anything about performance :)
Just the users perception.
If I see a list with thousands of scrollbars, I'll think the developer
just doesn't have a clue about UI design.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice