From: Eduardo on
MM escribi�:

>>> So, are you saying the vast majority of users do not know what to do
>>> when confronted with a text field?
>> No, he's saying that some users don't know that they can type in a
>> combobox, and they think they must click the dropdown and select an item
>> in the list.
>
> "Some users" - I would suggest a disappearingly small number.

I don't know how much. I think it's something between 2% and 80%
Sorry not to have more precission.

Sometimes some friends or relatives or clients ask me for some help
about the computer or a program by phone, and I say "go to the Start
button" and some ask "where is that????" (it happened a couple of times
at least)
From: Dee Earley on
On 24/02/2010 13:56, MM wrote:

>>> If you don't know, how could you type it into to a textbox instead?
>>
>> That isn't the point, the point was very long drop-down boxes, not
>> extering text. Scrolling through 1000+ entries of which I'm not sure what
>> I need is a problem.
>
> You don't appear to understand how it works. The point is indeed about
> entering text. The user will see the default value in the textbox
> portion of the combobox and will either overtype it or drop the list
> down. You don't scroll through 1000+ entries, you simply type the
> value you want which you would have to do anyway if you were typing
> into a textbox.

Not if you don't know EXACTLY how the text starts.
A more intelligent dropdown like auto complete that can match on any
part of the text is required for this.

>>> [snipped]
>>>
>>> That is your example? Did it not occur to you that that list is poorly
>>> designed?
>>
>> My example ? Yes. That is one example.
>
> But why not stick with the actual example that I have now explained
> several times, namely a numeric range of either 0 to 127 or 0 to 3000,
> not find a completely different example that isn't pertinent anyway?

I did, a box with a spin control is a much more suited (and again, IMO)
simpler UI.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Dave O. on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The list was merely an example of how typomatic works. Type in a
> minimal number of letters and the list will pinpoint matches
> immediately, thus helping the user find the intended word. Having to
> the type the whole word into a textbox, without any autocompletion, is
> not helping the user. Which is why typomatic was invented.

Yes but with a list of numbers from1 to 127 there is no way that auto
complete can work as it could for text.
viz - Your user types "10" it's impossible for the program to know if the
user wanted 10 or a number from 100 to 109 so he still has to type the
entire number. The whole exercise is pointless because a number from 1 to127
can be validated with one or two lines of very simple code.

Dave O.

From: duke on
I usually like to follow up on threads where I have commented to see
if there is anything else that I might suggest.
In this case I was the second person to express my opinion and have
read all 56 other responses.

My question to MM is: "What have you concluded after all the
comments on this matter?"

Duke
From: Bob Butler on

> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:02:45 -0800, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
> wrote:
>

>>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:53:28 -0800 (PST), Shotgun Thom
>>> <tmoran4511(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>><cut>

>>> You and me both, Tom. Oh, how refreshing to talk to somebody who
>>> understands!
>>
>>You mean who agrees.... many understand.
>
> I don't think they do. Unfortunately, while Access provides typomatic
> out of the box, classic VB doesn't.

You started off asking for opinions on this approach but it's quite clear
that you just want confirmation that it's a great approach for a wide range
of data entry fields. In my opinion it works but leads to an unusual
interface that will feel awkward to many users. In another post you said
that the number of users who didn't know they could type in a combobox is "a
vanishingly small number". Perhaps your experience is skewed by Access
application use; my experience is that when people see a drop-down they use
that and do not type directly into the box.

If you, and your users, like the drop-downs everywhere then use them. I
think you've found a new-fangled hammer and are seeing lots of nails that
need pounding.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice