From: Bob Butler on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
<cut>
> You'd type 51, say, and it would
> automatically jump to 70.

and then the user would call for help because the app is making up numbers

if 20-50 is valid and the user types 5 and gets '50' that may make some
sense, especially if either the '5' or the '0' is highlighted somehow so the
user can tell what was typed from what is being guessed. At that point
typing '1' should do nothing or show some sort of indication of invalid
input. Replacing the '51' with '70' is bizarre and if the user is typing
without looking at the screen it will lead to lots of data entry errors.

From: MM on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:38:39 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>>> You tried to type 3 when the minimum value, as you specified, was 20.
>>> What did you expect to happen?
>>
>> I expect the field to accept it like my solution does.
>
>Not the way that control works. If you set the min to 20, you can't
>enter a number less than that. (I don't make this stuff up!)

Well, then, as I said, the control is not suitable for the kinds of
uses I would want facilitated input for.

MM
From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:38:39 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:

>>> I expect the field to accept it like my solution does.
>>
>> Not the way that control works. If you set the min to 20, you can't
>> enter a number less than that. (I don't make this stuff up!)
>
> Well, then, as I said, the control is not suitable for the kinds of
> uses I would want facilitated input for.

Actually, I said that, but I did want to disabuse of you of a few false
preconceptions. Nothing more.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: MM on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:46:38 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:38:39 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Not the way that control works. If you set the min to 20, you can't
>>> enter a number less than that. (I don't make this stuff up!)
>>
>> Well, then, as I said, the control is not suitable for the kinds of
>> uses I would want facilitated input for.
>
>Actually, I said that, but I did want to disabuse of you of a few false
>preconceptions. Nothing more.

So why offer it as a solution at all?

MM
From: David Youngblood on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
> So why offer it as a solution at all?
>
> MM

You should really consider the effect of alienating the regulars.
That is, if there's any chance you may need assistance in the future.

David

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice