From: Dave O. on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Plus around 230 lines of code for Aaron Young's typomatic class. Also,
> my combobox implementation lets Home or End move the selected value to
> the beginning or end of the list. It feels far nicer to use than the
> spinner.
>
> MM

As opposed to about 3 lines of checking code for a text box when for
consecutive numbers the combobox autocomplete is pointless.

Yes your solution is far simpler - rolls eyes.

Dave O.

From: MM on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:56:17 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Plus around 230 lines of code for Aaron Young's typomatic class. Also,
>> my combobox implementation lets Home or End move the selected value to
>> the beginning or end of the list. It feels far nicer to use than the
>> spinner.
>>
>> MM
>
>As opposed to about 3 lines of checking code for a text box when for
>consecutive numbers the combobox autocomplete is pointless.

It is not about autocomplete. It is about being able to input or
select only valid entries without any extra checking code. In this
case only numeric characters are accepted because the list only
contains numbers. You can't enter an invalid number, like 0 if the
range starts from 1, or 999 if the range ends at 500. Quickly modify a
value by hitting the up or down arrow (the combobox text field always
contains a value). Hit Home or End for added usability. And finally,
being able to treat the input as a combo box with a dropdown list from
which to select specifically for those novices who don't yet know that
you can type into the text field portion or prefer to select from a
list.

What is there not to like?!!

**********

Karl: Is there a problem with the CUpDown demo? I tried setting the
Minimum to 10 and the Maximum to 500, but then I get all kinds of
weirdness when I start typing in the Sample Buddy field. For example,
try typing the value 20.

MM
From: David Youngblood on

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:56:17 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> Plus around 230 lines of code for Aaron Young's typomatic class. Also,
>>> my combobox implementation lets Home or End move the selected value to
>>> the beginning or end of the list. It feels far nicer to use than the
>>> spinner.
>>>
>>> MM
>>
>>As opposed to about 3 lines of checking code for a text box when for
>>consecutive numbers the combobox autocomplete is pointless.
>
> It is not about autocomplete. It is about being able to input or
> select only valid entries without any extra checking code. In this
> case only numeric characters are accepted because the list only
> contains numbers. You can't enter an invalid number, like 0 if the
> range starts from 1, or 999 if the range ends at 500. Quickly modify a
> value by hitting the up or down arrow (the combobox text field always
> contains a value). Hit Home or End for added usability. And finally,
> being able to treat the input as a combo box with a dropdown list from
> which to select specifically for those novices who don't yet know that
> you can type into the text field portion or prefer to select from a
> list.
>
> What is there not to like?!!
>
> **********
>
> Karl: Is there a problem with the CUpDown demo? I tried setting the
> Minimum to 10 and the Maximum to 500, but then I get all kinds of
> weirdness when I start typing in the Sample Buddy field. For example,
> try typing the value 20.

What were you expecting to happen?
Typing the first digit '2' is an invalid entry since the minimum accepable
value is 10.

David

From: MM on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:52:17 -0600, "David Youngblood" <dwy(a)flash.net>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:56:17 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>As opposed to about 3 lines of checking code for a text box when for
>>>consecutive numbers the combobox autocomplete is pointless.
>>
>> It is not about autocomplete. It is about being able to input or
>> select only valid entries without any extra checking code. In this
>> case only numeric characters are accepted because the list only
>> contains numbers. You can't enter an invalid number, like 0 if the
>> range starts from 1, or 999 if the range ends at 500. Quickly modify a
>> value by hitting the up or down arrow (the combobox text field always
>> contains a value). Hit Home or End for added usability. And finally,
>> being able to treat the input as a combo box with a dropdown list from
>> which to select specifically for those novices who don't yet know that
>> you can type into the text field portion or prefer to select from a
>> list.
>>
>> What is there not to like?!!
>>
>> **********
>>
>> Karl: Is there a problem with the CUpDown demo? I tried setting the
>> Minimum to 10 and the Maximum to 500, but then I get all kinds of
>> weirdness when I start typing in the Sample Buddy field. For example,
>> try typing the value 20.
>
>What were you expecting to happen?
>Typing the first digit '2' is an invalid entry since the minimum accepable
>value is 10.

I suggest you try it first! Try inputing the value 250, for example.

MM
From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:
> Karl: Is there a problem with the CUpDown demo? I tried setting the
> Minimum to 10 and the Maximum to 500, but then I get all kinds of
> weirdness when I start typing in the Sample Buddy field. For example,
> try typing the value 20.

Did you highlight the field, then try typing it? If so, think about
that. 2 is outside the valid range.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice