From: MM on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:25:07 -0500, "Jeff Johnson" <i.get(a)enough.spam>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Not "doesn't know HOW to type," but rather "doesn't know TO type," i.e.,
>>>"doesn't know he MAY type." Many people think the mouse is REQUIRED to use
>>>certain controls, sadly.
>>
>> "doesn't know TO type" - how does the user become a PC user, then? Or
>> do you envisage many thousands of PCs across the world sitting there
>> idling away while users sit in front of them, going: "Goodness me, I
>> really don't know what to do next!"
>
>You really won't accept that fact that in the specific case of COMBO BOXES
>(which IS what this is about, not the computer in general), some users don't
>understand that they can use they keyboard and instead think they MUST use
>the mouse? Really?

I have worked (I'm retired now) in computing since the days of the 8"
floppy. I reckon I've seen quite a few users working in my time. And
why would Microsoft go to the bother of providing a combobox with a
textbox attached if users were as brain-dead as you imply? Microsoft
spends millions on usability testing, and the combobox is as old as
the hills.

MM
From: DanS on

> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:50:58 -0600, DanS
> <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote:
>
>><SNIP>

>>> So I have a numeric dropdown list with the range 0 to 127 yet you are
>>> coming at me with "the official list of accepted timezone names", as
>>> if the poor design of the latter is automatically assumed for the
>>> former.
>>
>>No, that was to show how bad of an idea a long drop-down box is.
>
> Ah, so it was as I thought: You took one particular *poor*
> implementation and attribute badness to all other implementations.

Actually, no. I took the example I had just coded in an application two
days ago because I still had the text file sitting right on my desktop,
and, the only one I knew was a very long list. (And I'm not going to
start searching the internet for a program that had long drop-down lists
in it, becasue this thread nowhere near worth that kind of effort.)

<SNIP>

> Stop Press: I've just taken that Linux list, reversed it so that the
> city name precedes the continent, and whacked it into a new Access
> database. I've created a form with a combobox, specifying the 'Cities'
> table. Bingo! Typomatic out of the box.
>
> Type in Lon and it completes with London - Europe. Type in Ne and it
> completes with New York - America. Press Enter and the correct entry
> is confirmed (in the correct letter case, too). Couldn't be simpler.

Except that New York - America is not a valid entry.

Now after you select that, you need to format it back to America/New_York
before you can use it, which is also code that needs to be debugged,
documented, and maintained.
From: Shotgun Thom on
On Feb 22, 9:14 am, MM <kylix...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> What do others think about replacing textboxes with comboboxes like
> this?

Actually I think using auto-select comboboxes in this case is fine. I
might use an up/down tool for numbers instead but I do agree about the
tiny arrow buttons on that type of control. Annoying.

While many criticize the use of auto-select combo's for a large data
list let me refer you to font selection options in programs like Word,
WordPad, Text Tool in MS Paint and dozens of other editors/word
processors. I have over 250 fonts registered on my computer and all
these programs use auto-select drop downs for font selection. It is
handy and fast. If I want to use Tahoma... click in dropdown... type
"Ta" and bam... good to go. If I'm unsure of the type font I want I
can scroll through the list to sample the fonts.

Auto-select combobox is a good choice for your program, MM.

Tom

From: Mike Williams on
"Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Never forget that almost 50% of people
> are of below average intelligence.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary
numbers and those that don't ;-)

Mike

From: MM on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:26:35 -0600, DanS
<t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote:

>MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:50:58 -0600, DanS
>> <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote:
>>
>>><SNIP>

>>>No, that was to show how bad of an idea a long drop-down box is.
>>
>> Ah, so it was as I thought: You took one particular *poor*
>> implementation and attribute badness to all other implementations.
>
>Actually, no. I took the example I had just coded in an application two
>days ago because I still had the text file sitting right on my desktop,
>and, the only one I knew was a very long list. (And I'm not going to
>start searching the internet for a program that had long drop-down lists
>in it, becasue this thread nowhere near worth that kind of effort.)
>
><SNIP>
>>
>> Stop Press: I've just taken that Linux list, reversed it so that the
>> city name precedes the continent, and whacked it into a new Access
>> database. I've created a form with a combobox, specifying the 'Cities'
>> table. Bingo! Typomatic out of the box.
>>
>> Type in Lon and it completes with London - Europe. Type in Ne and it
>> completes with New York - America. Press Enter and the correct entry
>> is confirmed (in the correct letter case, too). Couldn't be simpler.
>
>Except that New York - America is not a valid entry.

I didn't create the list, I just used it.

>Now after you select that, you need to format it back to America/New_York
>before you can use it, which is also code that needs to be debugged,
>documented, and maintained.

Why does it need to be formatted back? In any case, I really think
you're splitting hairs now. This was merely an example, not a study
into geographical locations.

MM
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice