From: Dee Earley on
On 23/02/2010 14:11, Dee Earley wrote:
> On 23/02/2010 13:55, MM wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:43:21 +0000, Dee Earley
>> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Practicality (Did I say it was IMO?)
>>
>> But there is NO difference in responsiveness whether the dropdown list
>> contains 25, 250, or 2500 items. Over 25,000 and I'd say you might
>> have a point, but I have done extensive testing and there is no
>> degradation in performance.
>
> I didn't say anything about performance :)
> Just the users perception.
> If I see a list with thousands of scrollbars, I'll think the developer
> just doesn't have a clue about UI design.

Thousands of scrollbars?
Of course I meant thousands of items (using an extreme) with a tiny
scrollbar.. :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: MM on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:11:30 +0000, Dee Earley
<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>I didn't say anything about performance :)
>Just the users perception.
>If I see a list with thousands of scrollbars, I'll think the developer
>just doesn't have a clue about UI design.

"thousands of scrollbars" ? Each combobox has one scrollbar. The box
doesn't even drop down unless you want it to. Otherwise it behaves and
looks exactly like a text field.

MM
From: MM on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:14:15 +0000, Dee Earley
<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/02/2010 14:11, Dee Earley wrote:
>> On 23/02/2010 13:55, MM wrote:

>>> But there is NO difference in responsiveness whether the dropdown list
>>> contains 25, 250, or 2500 items. Over 25,000 and I'd say you might
>>> have a point, but I have done extensive testing and there is no
>>> degradation in performance.
>>
>> I didn't say anything about performance :)
>> Just the users perception.
>> If I see a list with thousands of scrollbars, I'll think the developer
>> just doesn't have a clue about UI design.
>
>Thousands of scrollbars?
>Of course I meant thousands of items (using an extreme) with a tiny
>scrollbar.. :)

Okay, but my last point still holds. I think maybe you're thinking
that the user has to drop down the list every time and click on the
value required, but this is not how it works with typomatic. With
typomatic you type into the textbox portion exactly as if it were a
real textbox. There are added benefits: you can hit End or Home and
immediately jump to the highest or lowest permissible value.

MM
From: Nobody on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:28:09 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>MM wrote:

>>> What's to know? They see a field, they tab to it, or it already has
>>> the focus, or they click on it, or they use the shortcut in the
>>> associated label, then they start typing OR they use it as a combobox.
>>> It would be a lot harder teaching people how to touch their toes.
>>
>>There you go again, thinking like a programmer. <g> Most folks I watch
>>don't even know they can tab between fields yet!
>
> They don't DESERVE to use my software!

I can't imagine someone making that statement about artists and singers,
perhaps with the exception of egotistical OOP developers.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
MM wrote:

>>> Don't what?
>>
>> You don't need that OCX.
>>
>>> The help file states:
>>> "To use the UpDown control in your application, you must add the
>>> MSCOMCT2.OCX file to the project. When distributing your application,
>>> install the MSCOMCT2.OCX file in the user's Microsoft Windows SYSTEM
>>> directory."
>>
>> Note, that's the helpfile for the *OCX*. I handed you code that
>> eliminates that external dependency.
>
> Well, to be honest, since I know you like honesty, I didn't look at
> it, since there's no way I'd ever use those horrid little arrows
> anyway!

You know they work with the arrow keys as well, right? ;-)

>>> I want this app to work with minimal extra controls, which is why I
>>> also go for user controls that can be incorporated into the exe
>>> wherever possible. And the combobox is one of the basic controls,
>>> n'est-ce pas?
>>
>> I'm just saying, you *can* use UpDown controls with nothing more than
>> drop-in class module. (Oh, that's right, you don't *do* class modules,
>> do you? <bg>)
>
> I do! I do! As long as I don't have to write the buggers. (Mind you, I
> have done a fair bit of cleaning up other programmers' code...)

Well, should you get bored with the jigsaw puzzles, you might want to
try the sample download. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice