From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:27:46 -0300, Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:

>MM escribi�:

>>> No, he's saying that some users don't know that they can type in a
>>> combobox, and they think they must click the dropdown and select an item
>>> in the list.
>>
>> "Some users" - I would suggest a disappearingly small number.
>
>I don't know how much. I think it's something between 2% and 80%
>Sorry not to have more precission.
>
>Sometimes some friends or relatives or clients ask me for some help
>about the computer or a program by phone, and I say "go to the Start
>button" and some ask "where is that????" (it happened a couple of times
>at least)

Everyone had to go to the Start button once.

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:12:47 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The list was merely an example of how typomatic works. Type in a
>> minimal number of letters and the list will pinpoint matches
>> immediately, thus helping the user find the intended word. Having to
>> the type the whole word into a textbox, without any autocompletion, is
>> not helping the user. Which is why typomatic was invented.
>
>Yes but with a list of numbers from1 to 127 there is no way that auto
>complete can work as it could for text.
>viz - Your user types "10" it's impossible for the program to know if the
>user wanted 10 or a number from 100 to 109 so he still has to type the
>entire number. The whole exercise is pointless because a number from 1 to127
>can be validated with one or two lines of very simple code.

And he would otherwise have to type the whole number into a textbox.
However, I don't have to add any additional validating code. Your "one
or two lines" is a tad optimistic, in my view, given that different
ranges would require different min and max values. This was only ever
about removing the need for /any/ validating code, as I said in my
first post. There are in addition several benefits for the user: Press
Home or End to remind oneself of the limits; press the down or up
arrow to select adjacent values (user types 55, wanted 56, presses
down arrow, hits enter, done. Value 56 accepted).

MM
From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:12:06 -0800 (PST), duke <nospama(a)3web.net>
wrote:

>I usually like to follow up on threads where I have commented to see
>if there is anything else that I might suggest.
>In this case I was the second person to express my opinion and have
>read all 56 other responses.
>
>My question to MM is: "What have you concluded after all the
>comments on this matter?"

I've implemented the comboboxes.

MM
From: Dave O. on

"duke" <nospama(a)3web.net> wrote in message
>I usually like to follow up on threads where I have commented to see
> if there is anything else that I might suggest.
> In this case I was the second person to express my opinion and have
> read all 56 other responses.
>
> My question to MM is: "What have you concluded after all the
> comments on this matter?"
>
> Duke

I suspect he will conclude that he is right and everybody else is wrong.

Dave O.

From: Dave O. on

> So, are you saying the vast majority of users do not know what to do
> when confronted with a text field?

A style 2 combo box does not present a "Text field" it is not something most
people would consider typing directly into.
Do this with a style 0 then they probably would type into it and certainly
into a style 1 where the drop down bit is hidden.

The normal way that an experienced user would use a type 2 combo with the
keyboard is to enter the first letter of what they want then keep hitting
that key to cycle through all entries starting with that letter. Anything
that forces the combo box to work differently from the norm will annoy
experienced users and confuse the less experienced ones and as such is a
dumb idea.

Dave O.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice