From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:38:29 -0000, "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> And he would otherwise have to type the whole number into a textbox.
>> However, I don't have to add any additional validating code. Your "one
>> or two lines" is a tad optimistic, in my view, given that different
>> ranges would require different min and max values.
>
>Private Function ValidateNumeric(ToTest As String, MinVal As Long, MaxVal As
>Long) As Boolean
>If IsNumeric(ToTest) Then ValidateNumeric = (Val(ToTest) >= MinVal) And
>(Val(ToTest) <= MaxVal)
>End Function
>
>There you are, 1 line of reusable code - I bet that is far simpler than the
>code you use for your auto-complete.
>
>Here is a slightly more sophisticated version that'll filter out decimal
>values like 25.4
>
>Private Function ValidateNumeric(ToTest As String, MinVal As Long, MaxVal As
>Long) As Boolean
>Dim sngNum As Single
>If IsNumeric(ToTest) Then
> sngNum = Val(ToTest)
> ValidateNumeric = (sngNum >= MinVal) And (sngNum <= MaxVal) And
>(Int(sngNum) = sngNum)
>End If
>End Function

Okay, so now I say, hey, Dave! I have this new approach that will
obviate all that code AND make the app more user-friendly, then what?

MM
From: Bob Butler on

"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
<cut>
> Correct. Totally. What I think is happening in this thread with some
> respondents is that they took up an original stance and will now not
> back down for fear of losing the argument.

ROTFL

From: MM on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:13:42 -0800, "Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
><cut>
>>>If you, and your users, like the drop-downs everywhere then use them. I
>>>think you've found a new-fangled hammer and are seeing lots of nails that
>>>need pounding.
>>
>> I really do not see what you think can possibly feel awkward about
>> using a combobox. They are found everywhere in software, so it's
>> hardly new-fangled.
>
>I know you don't see. You stopped listening before you made the first post
>asking for opinions on your approach. If you like it, use it, just don't be
>surprised that not everybody agrees.
>
>Why do I feel like I'm in the Monty Python argument sketch?

Dunno. Ministry of Silly Talks?

MM
From: Mike Williams on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Correct. Totally. What I think is happening in this thread
> with some respondents is that they took up an original
> stance and will now not back down for fear of losing
> the argument.

Isn't that what we all do ;-)

Mike

From: Mike Williams on

>>Why do I feel like I'm in the Monty Python argument sketch?
>
> Dunno. Ministry of Silly Talks?

If anyone mentions parrots then I'm off! I can't abide all this OT stuff
;-)

Mike

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice