From: Daryl Muellenberg on

"Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> So, are you saying the vast majority of users do not know what to do
>> when confronted with a text field?
>
> A style 2 combo box does not present a "Text field" it is not something
> most people would consider typing directly into.
> Do this with a style 0 then they probably would type into it and certainly
> into a style 1 where the drop down bit is hidden.
>
> The normal way that an experienced user would use a type 2 combo with the
> keyboard is to enter the first letter of what they want then keep hitting
> that key to cycle through all entries starting with that letter. Anything
> that forces the combo box to work differently from the norm will annoy
> experienced users and confuse the less experienced ones and as such is a
> dumb idea.

I disagree. Yes, originally combo boxes worked that way, but it has been
improved on with the auto-complete feature (which is way better IMO). Just
because it is the default behavior doesn't make it better. I would say most
application now days use the auto-complete feature and if I see a combo box,
the first thing I try is the auto-complete feature and get annoyed if it
doesn't use it. As far as the less experienced users, why would you think it
would confuse them? To me, it more confusing for a novice user to have to
hit the same letter to cycle through the entries than to just key in what
they are looking for. BTW, I have also been around since the punch cards and
paper tape days :)

Daryl

From: Dave O. on

"Daryl Muellenberg" <dmuellenberg(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Dave O." <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> So, are you saying the vast majority of users do not know what to do
>>> when confronted with a text field?
>>
>> A style 2 combo box does not present a "Text field" it is not something
>> most people would consider typing directly into.
>> Do this with a style 0 then they probably would type into it and
>> certainly into a style 1 where the drop down bit is hidden.
>>
>> The normal way that an experienced user would use a type 2 combo with the
>> keyboard is to enter the first letter of what they want then keep hitting
>> that key to cycle through all entries starting with that letter. Anything
>> that forces the combo box to work differently from the norm will annoy
>> experienced users and confuse the less experienced ones and as such is a
>> dumb idea.
>
> I disagree. Yes, originally combo boxes worked that way, but it has been
> improved on with the auto-complete feature (which is way better IMO). Just
> because it is the default behavior doesn't make it better. I would say
> most application now days use the auto-complete feature and if I see a
> combo box, the first thing I try is the auto-complete feature and get
> annoyed if it doesn't use it. As far as the less experienced users, why
> would you think it would confuse them? To me, it more confusing for a
> novice user to have to hit the same letter to cycle through the entries
> than to just key in what they are looking for. BTW, I have also been
> around since the punch cards and paper tape days :)
>
> Daryl

Yes for a style 0 or style 1 but a style 2 does not buffer characters beyond
the first one without the author having to modify its behaviour.

Dave O.

From: Dee Earley on
On 25/02/2010 14:10, MM wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:27:46 -0300, Eduardo<mm(a)mm.com> wrote:
>> Sometimes some friends or relatives or clients ask me for some help
>> about the computer or a program by phone, and I say "go to the Start
>> button" and some ask "where is that????" (it happened a couple of times
>> at least)
>
> Everyone had to go to the Start button once.

That's why Windows used to have an animation on the task bar saying
"start here" with an arrow and then the Win2K welcome screen that said
pretty much the same.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: DanS on

> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:41:14 -0600, DanS
> <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t(a)r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote:
>
>>MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

>>> I didn't create the list, I just used it.

>>> Why does it need to be formatted back?
>>
>>Because that is what Linux is expecting to see. Those are the defacto
>>standardized time zone names. It will not accept 'New York - America',
>>it is expecting 'America/New_York'.
>>
>>> In any case, I really think
>>> you're splitting hairs now. This was merely an example, not a study
>>> into geographical locations.
>>
>>Yes, it was merely an example....and geographic locations had nothing
>>to do with this, that just happens to be what the data was.
>>
>>Let me explain everything then......
>>
>>It was an example showing a really long drop-down list that you don't
>>know what the hell your looking for, and how bad that can be, which
>>was what I was trying to say.....
>>
>>......but I wasn't really aware that you were just validating a string
>>a number in a specified range.....
>>
>>......and how you didn't want to write code that needed to be
>>maintained, debugged, and documented.......although, if you've got to
>>spend more than 2 minutes writing a function to verify that a string
>>is a valid number between 1 and whatever........
>>
>>I guess it all comes down to is that I'm just not 'worthy' of your
>>software.
>
> Now that my application has finally become clear to you, do you agree
> with my use of a combobox with typomatic that obviates any need for
> extra checking code?

Sorry, but no.

I've got a value in my current project is a numerical choice between (and
inclusive of) 0 and 30.

I chose a slider control.

I also don't want to talk about this any longer.
From: Dee Earley on
On 25/02/2010 14:28, MM wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:04:02 +0000, Dee Earley
> <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2010 13:56, MM wrote:

>>> You don't appear to understand how it works. The point is indeed about
>>> entering text. The user will see the default value in the textbox
>>> portion of the combobox and will either overtype it or drop the list
>>> down. You don't scroll through 1000+ entries, you simply type the
>>> value you want which you would have to do anyway if you were typing
>>> into a textbox.
>>
>> Not if you don't know EXACTLY how the text starts.
>
> If you don't know exactly how the text starts, how are you going to be
> able to type it in to a plain textbox?

That's why a textbox is freeform text :)
If the app expects particular strings, then it should present those in a
suitable format (list if a few items, tree or filtered lists otherwise)

>> A more intelligent dropdown like auto complete that can match on any
>> part of the text is required for this.
>
> Fine. But that is not what I need here, since I only have the range 0
> to 127 or 0 to 3000 to present to the user.

So use a control that is specifically designed for selecting numbers.

> I dislike spin controls for reasons already explained to Karl. And you
> don't see them very often in commercial software either, whereas you
> see comboboxes (aka dropdowns) all the time.

I see them all the time. This is just windows itself (not many apps
built in :)
1) Date control panel, year and time pickers (admittedly the year one
has been redesigned in vista+)
2) Screen saver wait interval
3) Windows appearence item size (Oddly, the font size is a drop down,
presumably as they may not be contiguous)
4) Task Scheduler time and interval options
5) Start menu "item" count

Most of Office(2007) uses them for spacing/sizes (font size excepted as
above)
Visual Studio uses them haphazardly through the settings window

Most other number enty places I can find use a slider (as the number
itself won't mean anything), a text box (normally freeform like the
modem control panel that accepts commas, etc) or a list/combobox if the
numbers are non contiguous.

My phone uses them in some places, but silly scrollers in others which
while looking nice are a PITA to change more than ~20 entries.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: VB6 application with manifest file
Next: Asking Advice