From: Mac Cool on
shegeek72:

> Several reasons: alt.fan.mozilla seems the most appropriate ng.
> However, last time I checked activity was low and it's riddled with
> spam,

news.mozilla.org is what you want
From: Jon Danniken on
Justin wrote:
> Jon Danniken wrote on [Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:54:53 -0700]:
>> Justin wrote:

>>> FF does it, and has for a while
>>
>> How do you turn it on? I have 3.0.8, no inline auto-complete.
>
> Upgrade to a supported version, 3.6.3 does it by default

Nope, just downloaded and installed it, and imported my favorites from IE.
I still do not have inline auto-complete of favorites/bookmarks in the
address bar.

Thanks for prompting me to upgrade my FF installation, though.

Jon

From: Jon Danniken on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>> I do use FF occasionally, but I haven't seen it. Using version
>> 3.08, no in-line auto-complete.
>
> By auto-complete, did you mean website address auto-complete, or
> bookmark auto-complete?

I mean favorites/bookmark inline auto-complete from the address bar, known
as "inline autocomplete". For instance, as I have with IE6.x, I have a
favorite called, "g oogle", which has an affiliated URL of
www.google.com.

When I type "g" into the address field, it finishes it up as "g oogle",
and hitting "RETURN" takes me to www.google.com.

Likewise, I have a favorite called "gg oogle image search", with an
associated URL of http://www.google.com/imghp . When I type "gg " into
the address bar, it completes it as "gg oogle image search", and hitting
"RETURN" takes me to http://www.google.com/imghp.

Additionally, I have a favorite called "ggg oogle groups search", with an
associated URL of http://groups.google.com/advanced_search . When I type
"ggg " into the address bar, it completes it as "ggg oogle groups
search", and hitting RETURN takes me to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search.

That's what inline auto-complete is. Unfortunately, Microsoft removed it
completely (not just disabled it) beginning with IE7, and AFAIK there are no
other browsers which implement it.\\

It is the only reason that I am still using IE6.

Jon

From: Jon Danniken on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>> I do use FF occasionally, but I haven't seen it. Using version
>> 3.08, no in-line auto-complete.
>>
>> Is it a special add-on or something?
>
> AH... Firefox can import the history from IE!!! As I said in another
> post: no history, no auto-complete!

Different feature, I am looking for "inline auto-complete" which uses
entries from the favorites/bookmarks.

In reality, in IE6, they all work together, ie, both history entities and
favorites/bookmarks show up during an inline autocomplete return.

Jon

From: Nigel Stapley on
Jon Danniken wrote:
> Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>>> Not the last time I checked. If they were to do it, I'd be using FF
>>> as my default browser.
>> I believe both Chrome and Firefox are doing it! Try again! :)
>
> I do use FF occasionally, but I haven't seen it. Using version 3.08, no
> in-line auto-complete.
>
> Is it a special add-on or something?

Have you tried this?

In the address bar, type 'about:config' (without quote marks) and send.

In the filter box, type 'autoc' (again without quotes).

Is there an entry called 'browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled'? If so,
what is the entry under 'value' (far right)?

If it's 'false', right-click on it, then select 'Toggle' from the menu.
This should change it to 'true'.

Then click on your 'Home' button, then try typing a url in the address
bar to see if it auto-completes.

HTH

--
Regards