From: Jon Danniken on
Nigel Stapley wrote:

> Go to Tools > Options > Privacy, and check what you've got set under
> 'Location Bar' at the bottom. Mine is set for "When using the location
> bar suggest: History and Bookmarks". Try playing about with the
> settings there to see if any of them do what you're looking for.

Hi Nigel, went to Tools - Options - Privacy, and mine was also set to
"History and Bookmarks" as well. I tried to the other three options
(HIstory, Bookmarks, Nothing), but none of them gave me an inline
auto-complete.

Thanks though.

Jon

From: CrackerJack on

>> Go to Tools > Options > Privacy, and check what you've got set under
>> 'Location Bar' at the bottom. Mine is set for "When using the location
>> bar suggest: History and Bookmarks". Try playing about with the
>> settings there to see if any of them do what you're looking for.

>Hi Nigel, went to Tools - Options - Privacy, and mine was also set to
>"History and Bookmarks" as well. I tried to the other three options
>(HIstory, Bookmarks, Nothing), but none of them gave me an inline
>auto-complete.

>Thanks though.

>Jon

Set FF back to it defaults.

http://www.browserland.com/how-to/restore-firefox-default-settings-without-uninstalling-it/

Do what Nigel said. If need be delete all bookmarks/favorites and them back.Worst case try it on
another PC. You will se FF does do this.

From: Jon Danniken on
CrackerJack wrote:

> Set FF back to it defaults.
>
> http://www.browserland.com/how-to/restore-firefox-default-settings-without-uninstalling-it/
>
> Do what Nigel said. If need be delete all bookmarks/favorites and
> them back.Worst case try it on another PC. You will se FF does do
> this.

Tried that, didn't work. Then I uninstalled FF, dumped all of the folders
(app data, program files), and rebooted the computer.

Started it back up and reinstalled FF. Didn't import anything, but I went
to google.com and saved it as a bookmark (named as "g oogle")

Closed FF, opened it back up again, typed "g " in the address bar, and
still no inline autocomplete. I get the drop-down list I have always
gotten, but no inline autocomplete.

Thanks though.

Jon

From: Paul on
Jon Danniken wrote:
> CrackerJack wrote:
>>
>> Set FF back to it defaults.
>>
>> http://www.browserland.com/how-to/restore-firefox-default-settings-without-uninstalling-it/
>>
>> Do what Nigel said. If need be delete all bookmarks/favorites and
>> them back.Worst case try it on another PC. You will se FF does do
>> this.
>
> Tried that, didn't work. Then I uninstalled FF, dumped all of the folders
> (app data, program files), and rebooted the computer.
>
> Started it back up and reinstalled FF. Didn't import anything, but I went
> to google.com and saved it as a bookmark (named as "g oogle")
>
> Closed FF, opened it back up again, typed "g " in the address bar, and
> still no inline autocomplete. I get the drop-down list I have always
> gotten, but no inline autocomplete.
>
> Thanks though.
>
> Jon

I use something called "Old Location Bar", a plugin which changes Awesome Bar behavior
back to the old behavior. Maybe you could try that.

"Old Location Bar 2.1.2 by Kakkoii"
"Works with Firefox: 3.0 - 3.7a5pre"

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7637/

I don't like using addons for that purpose, because they're a maintenance
headache. Every time the Firefox version changes, the addons are checked
for "compatibility", and it is up to the addon author to update them.
I was using a previous addon ("OldBar") of that type, and the author discontinued
support, so then I had to find a new different one, to do the same thing.
And that is what the item above is.

That is the only addon I use - because the Firefox developers had too much ego
involved, to have a thing in about:config to make the old behavior an option.

Paul
From: Jon Danniken on
Paul wrote:
> I use something called "Old Location Bar", a plugin which changes
> Awesome Bar behavior back to the old behavior. Maybe you could try
> that.
> "Old Location Bar 2.1.2 by Kakkoii"
> "Works with Firefox: 3.0 - 3.7a5pre"
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7637/
>
> I don't like using addons for that purpose, because they're a
> maintenance headache. Every time the Firefox version changes, the addons
> are
> checked for "compatibility", and it is up to the addon author to update
> them.
> I was using a previous addon ("OldBar") of that type, and the author
> discontinued support, so then I had to find a new different one, to
> do the same thing. And that is what the item above is.

That looked promising, so I installed it. I went through all of the
available options, restarting FF each time, but could still not get inline
autocomplete to work from the address (er, "location") bar in Firefox.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jon