From: Wes Groleau on
On 05-19-2010 21:36, Matthew Russotto wrote:
> GreenXenon<glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why would this hypothetical laptop be so expensive?
>
> Tempest shielding, unobtanium RAM, and physics-defying radio antenna
> account for the largest part of it. Low volume would account for the
> rest.

Not to mention the test jig that has to read every RAM address
exactly 10.01 milliseconds after power-off, and the software that
analyzes it to guarantee no discernible pattern remains.

--
Wes Groleau

Unusual ways of learning?
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=96
From: GreenXenon on
On May 19, 6:36 pm, Wes Groleau <Groleau+n...(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 05-19-2010 21:11, GreenXenon wrote:

> > Yes but I don't plan to store anything I treasure the networks.
>

> nor, apparently, on the computer, either.

1. I do plan to store files on the internet but not stuff that I feel
is important
2. Stuff that I do feel is important, I store on a different computer
From: GreenXenon on
On May 19, 6:36 pm, russo...(a)grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto)
wrote:

> Tempest shielding, unobtanium RAM, and physics-defying radio antenna
> account for the largest part of it.  Low volume would account for the
> rest.

So the RAM that I want is physically-impossible? Oh no!
From: GreenXenon on
On May 19, 7:02 pm, Wes Groleau <Groleau+n...(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> Not to mention the test jig that has to read every RAM address
> exactly 10.01 milliseconds after power-off, and the software that
> analyzes it to guarantee no discernible pattern remains.

Huh?
From: Bruce Burden on
In comp.sys.laptops GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:
:
: 1. I do plan to store files on the internet but not stuff that I feel
: is important
:
If you read the service agreement on a "cloud", you will note
that all your bases belong to us. In other words, the damn lawyers
decided everyhing stored in the cloud belongs to the cloud provider
so they can delete it if somebody squawks.

Perhaps more importantly, you also give up any and all copywrite
to said data. Not only no, but hell no.

Of course, it also means said cloud provider can also share
your data if they want to...
:
: 2. Stuff that I do feel is important, I store on a different computer
:
Okay. So how do you protect said different computer? As some
poster noted, truely secure systems aren't on the net, but they
are in secured rooms, and anything that enters the room that isn't
flesh or clothes stays in said room.

At some point, you have to accept that your data is at risk,
and accept said level of risk. Since you are talking WiFi on your
dream laptop, I'd think you are already accepting a large element
of risk, as everything you transmit to the local station is liable
to interception. Perhaps not right then, but given time, about
any data can be deciphered.

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha