From: GreenXenon on
On May 19, 7:30 pm, bruc...(a)realtime.net (Bruce Burden) wrote:

> In comp.sys.laptops GreenXenon <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> :
> : 1. I do plan to store files on the internet but not stuff that I feel
> : is important
> :
>         If you read the service agreement on a "cloud", you will note
>     that all your bases belong to us. In other words, the damn lawyers
>     decided everyhing stored in the cloud belongs to the cloud provider
>     so they can delete it if somebody squawks.
>
>         Perhaps more importantly, you also give up any and all copywrite
>     to said data. Not only no, but hell no.
>
>         Of course, it also means said cloud provider can also share
>     your data if they want to...

One can store files on groups.yahoo.com without providing their true
identity.

> :
> : 2. Stuff that I do feel is important, I store on a different computer
> :
>         Okay. So how do you protect said different computer? As some
>     poster noted, truely secure systems aren't on the net, but they
>     are in secured rooms, and anything that enters the room that isn't
>     flesh or clothes stays in said room.
>
>         At some point, you have to accept that your data is at risk,
>     and accept said level of risk. Since you are talking WiFi on your
>     dream laptop, I'd think you are already accepting a large element
>     of risk, as everything you transmit to the local station is liable
>     to interception. Perhaps not right then, but given time, about
>     any data can be deciphered.

The other computer is a desktop and uses a different internet
connection that is accomplished via fiber-optics, not wi-fi.
From: Mike Rosenberg on
GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Tempest shielding, unobtanium RAM, and physics-defying radio antenna
> > account for the largest part of it. Low volume would account for the
> > rest.
>

> So the RAM that I want is physically-impossible? Oh no!

We don't know whether it's impossible, but you yourself said
hypothetical.

--
Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi>
Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi>

Make money while saving money <http://www.bign.com/mrosenberg>
From: GreenXenon on
On May 20, 4:40 am, mikeP...(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg)
wrote:

> GreenXenon <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Tempest shielding, unobtanium RAM, and physics-defying radio antenna
> > > account for the largest part of it.  Low volume would account for the
> > > rest.

> > So the RAM that I want is physically-impossible? Oh no!

> We don't know whether it's impossible, but you yourself said
> hypothetical.

Do you think it will be possible in the next 5 to 10 years?
From: Robert Haar on
On 5/21/10 12:03 PM, "GreenXenon" <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 4:40�am, mikeP...(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg)
> wrote:

>> We don't know whether it's impossible, but you yourself said
>> hypothetical.

> Do you think it will be possible in the next 5 to 10 years?

Possible - sure, It could be built today, except maybe the vaguely defined
bit about the antenna.

But I don't expect that any manufacturer would see enough of a market to
mass produce one.

From: GreenXenon on
On May 21, 2:01 pm, Robert Haar <bobh...(a)me.com> wrote:

> On 5/21/10 12:03 PM, "GreenXenon" <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 20, 4:40 am, mikeP...(a)TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg)
> > wrote:

> >> We don't know whether it's impossible, but you yourself said
> >> hypothetical.

> > Do you think it will be possible in the next 5 to 10 years?

> Possible - sure, It could be built today, except maybe the vaguely defined
> bit about the antenna.

I should've added, the receiver antenna is omnidirectional but the
transmitter is unidirectional. Transmit in only one direction but
receive in all directions. That way I have more choices of which wi-fi
access point to use. The purpose of unidirectional transmission is to
decrease the chance of interception by the bad guys who could use
automatic/radio-direction-finding to triangulate my position.

> But I don't expect that any manufacturer would see enough of a market to
> mass produce one.

What if I design and build this laptop myself?