From: kbgrunt on
runnning Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP2 current in patches and McAfee Total
Protection for SMB. User receives error: IDS_OUTLOOK_REMOTESCANNER_DOWN as
Outlook opens. Outlook appears to work ok. Can not find this message on
Microsoft or McAfee's knowledge base. Has anybody seen and resolved this
error?
Thanks.
From: Brian Tillman on
kbgrunt <kbgrunt(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> runnning Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP2 current in patches and McAfee
> Total Protection for SMB. User receives error:
> IDS_OUTLOOK_REMOTESCANNER_DOWN as Outlook opens. Outlook appears to
> work ok. Can not find this message on Microsoft or McAfee's
> knowledge base. Has anybody seen and resolved this error?

Uninstall McAfee and reinstall without the mail scanning feature. You will
be no less protected.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: psychomom on
I too am having the same issue. This is something that just began occurring
in the last couple of days. Could it be something related to a McAfee update?
--
confused

From: Brian Tillman on
psychomom <psychomom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I too am having the same issue. This is something that just began
> occurring in the last couple of days. Could it be something related
> to a McAfee update?

That's what I'd suspect. If you can access update history for McAfee, see
if it updated around the time you started having problems. Of course, if
you uninstall it, then reinstall without the mail scanning feature, updates
will never be a problem.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Mark on
I got this message today as well.
I was trying to speed up the boot of my computer by eliminating startups and
unnecessary services using msconfig.exe.

I'm reasonably certain it was because I stopped the EngineServer.exe
service, but I cannot reproduce the error message again. Perhaps it is only
after boot. A reinstall would repair this.

I'm gonna leave it off for a while and see if the message comes back.
McAfee is a system resources hog, and with my new leaner startup the
computer is feeling faster...