From: Simon C on
I have uninstalled IE7 before perfomring repairing installation of Windows.
Right click the IE icon ->Property, I could see the standard property screen
with three tags: general, shortcut and compatibiltty.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
>I have uninstalled IE7 before perfomring repairing installation of Windows.
> Right click the IE icon ->Property, I could see the standard property screen
> with three tags: general, shortcut and compatibiltty.

That's not what I asked. However, that could mean that you are using
a Desktop Shortcut (aka, *.LNK file), which is not what you made me
think of by referring explicitly to "the IE icon on the desktop".

---

From: Simon C on
The roginal IE icon on destop is not a shortcut. Right click it and property
it would have several tabs including general, security...etc.

How I do to restore it? using a registry hack? how ?

From: Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] on
Simon C wrote:

> The roginal IE icon on destop is not a shortcut. Right click it and
> property it would have several tabs including general, security...etc.
>
> How I do to restore it? using a registry hack? how ?

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849/en-us
"Internet Explorer 7 Desktop icon missing".
And:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm
"100. Restore the missing Internet Explorer icon to the Desktop in Windows
XP (link to a .REG file)".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft� MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003

From: Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM on
"Simon C" <SimonC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have performed a repairing reinstallation of my windows XP professional
> XP2. IE7 was uninstalled and got back IE6 after reinsatllation. Now when I
> click the IE icon on he desktop, it will open a IE short cut rather then
> IE
> browser.
>
> How to fix it?

From TaurArian:

Issue Description:
----------

Double click IE icon on the Desktop. It won't open IE page but creates a
shortcut to IE.

Cause:
----------
LegacyDisable subkey under the following two keys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\Shellex]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Computer_User_Name\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D�}\shell\OpenHome

Resolution:
Delete the LegacyDisable subkey

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM