From: Simon C on
I have performed a repairing reinstallation of my windows XP professional
XP2. IE7 was uninstalled and got back IE6 after reinsatllation. Now when I
click the IE icon on he desktop, it will open a IE short cut rather then IE
browser.

How to fix it?
From: Don Varnau on
Hi,
When you right-click> Properties that icon, do you get Internet Options or
the standard Properties screen (the one you would see with other shortcuts?)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

From: Simon C on
I mean for the time being when I double click the IE icon on desktop, it
won't start IE browser but it will create an IE shortcut. Before I did an
upgrade installation for repairing the windows problem and it requires me to
uninstall IE7. After reinstallation of Windows, the internet explorer
vervsion became IE6.

my computer is running Windows XP profressional SP2.

So how I could fix the problem.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Why did you do the Repair Install? Did you uninstall IE7 before doing the
Repair Install?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Simon C" <SimonC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have performed a repairing reinstallation of my windows XP professional
> XP2. IE7 was uninstalled and got back IE6 after reinsatllation. Now when I
> click the IE icon on he desktop, it will open a IE short cut rather then IE
> browser.

Right-click whatever it is that you are "clicking" on.
What do you see? In particular which menu item is bolded?
The menu item which is bolded is the one that is used as a default
when you click on that icon. Hence, if you see "Create Shortcut"
is bolded, that's what happens.

> How to fix it?

Using a registry hack.

---