From: Yousuf Khan on
Jose wrote:
> There are also 3 sharing IRQ 16. Wouldn't that also be a problem?

Yes, that was mentioned in the original posting too.

> How did you obtain this list of IRQ information?

From Device Manager and Everest.

> What are ACPI tables that need to be reset?

The IRQ assignments.

> Do you show IRQ conflicts in Device Manager, Interrupt Request,
> Resources tab?

Read the original post.

> If you could change the IRQs, what would you change them to?

My main concern is to remove either the video card or ethernet port from
that sharing arrangement as those are the two that have caused most of
the Stop messages. I don't care if anything else is sharing resources.

> Please provide additional information about your system:
>
> Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
> msinfo32
>
> Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
> All, Copy and then paste
> the information back here.
>
> There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
> Name), and whatever appears to
> be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
> information.

Sorry, none of that information is relevant to this discussion. I'll
show you the Resource Sharing/Conflict summary from Msinfo32 instead:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x00000060-0x00000060 Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000060-0x00000060 Motherboard resources

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I/O Port 0x00000064-0x00000064 Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000064-0x00000064 Motherboard resources

Memory Address 0xFEC00000-0xFEC00FFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFEC00000-0xFEC00FFF System board

IRQ 16 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 16 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

IRQ 18 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
IRQ 18 NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
IRQ 18 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
IRQ 18 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
IRQ 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

I/O Port 0x00000B00-0x00000B3F Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000B00-0x00000B3F Motherboard resources

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFEAFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFEAFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

> This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

No it won't. I've already been asked to repeat information that was in
the original posting, twice already.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Robert Myers wrote:
> I increasingly think that you have a generic "BSOD after upgrading
> motherboard without reinstalling Windows" problem.

Sure, but that's the way I've always done things. I find the whole idea
of Windows behaving differently depending on which method you used to
install it, somewhat troublesome. Why should a pre-existing installation
of Windows be unfixable compared to a freshly installed copy? It's the
same software in both cases.

I've been able to muddle through it in the past, and fix Windows when
most other people would've just reinstalled it.

I'm also trying to buy a corporate copy of Windows 7 soon, so all this
might be moot soon. I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS from
scratch in that case. So I don't really want to reinstall XP from
scratch now, only to do it again with Win7.

> One fix that you may or may not have tried is booting into safe mode
> and forcing a reinstall of device drivers.

It's certainly something to try. By comparison, I've had Linux installed
on this same machine for nearly as long as I've had XP, and it's not
been reinstalled either. However, it's behaving much better, it's
managed to reassign the ethernet to a different IRQ (27). There's also 3
fewer devices sharing IRQ 18 under Linux than under Windows. Here's the
"/proc/interrupts" listing from Linux:

From: Robert Myers on
On Jan 28, 2:04 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Myers wrote:
> > I increasingly think that you have a generic "BSOD after upgrading
> > motherboard without reinstalling Windows" problem.
>
> Sure, but that's the way I've always done things. I find the whole idea
> of Windows behaving differently depending on which method you used to
> install it, somewhat troublesome. Why should a pre-existing installation
> of Windows be unfixable compared to a freshly installed copy? It's the
> same software in both cases.

I've always assumed that Windows checked certain things having to do
with the motherboard only on install. I also assume that's by design,
since Microsoft thinks you have to buy a new OEM edition for every new
motherboard.

Robert.
From: Nate Edel on
Have you run memtest86/memtest86+ or some other memory tester?

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
From: Nate Edel on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm also trying to buy a corporate copy of Windows 7 soon, so all this
> might be moot soon. I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS from
> scratch in that case. So I don't really want to reinstall XP from
> scratch now, only to do it again with Win7.

Well, you COULD do a XP/Vista/Win7 upgrade. I don't think it's recommended.

> It's certainly something to try. By comparison, I've had Linux installed
> on this same machine for nearly as long as I've had XP, and it's not
> been reinstalled either.

Linux does much more sensible things about hardware detection and
initialization; for the most part, it's dynamic, and can get moved
between hardware FAR more easily than windows.