From: Trent on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:04:17 -0500 Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in Message id:
<4b61dfb0$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>> I increasingly think that you have a generic "BSOD after upgrading
>> motherboard without reinstalling Windows" problem.
>
>Sure, but that's the way I've always done things. I find the whole idea
>of Windows behaving differently depending on which method you used to
>install it, somewhat troublesome. Why should a pre-existing installation
>of Windows be unfixable compared to a freshly installed copy? It's the
>same software in both cases.
>
>I've been able to muddle through it in the past, and fix Windows when
>most other people would've just reinstalled it.
>
>I'm also trying to buy a corporate copy of Windows 7 soon, so all this
>might be moot soon. I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS from
>scratch in that case. So I don't really want to reinstall XP from
>scratch now, only to do it again with Win7.
>
>> One fix that you may or may not have tried is booting into safe mode
>> and forcing a reinstall of device drivers.
>

>It's certainly something to try. By comparison, I've had Linux installed
>on this same machine for nearly as long as I've had XP, and it's not
>been reinstalled either. However, it's behaving much better, it's
>managed to reassign the ethernet to a different IRQ (27). There's also 3
>fewer devices sharing IRQ 18 under Linux than under Windows. Here's the
>"/proc/interrupts" listing from Linux:

Have you tried this?:

Make a .cmd file with the following:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
%windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc

Run the created .cmd file

Go into device manager, select view, "Show hidden devices" and uninstall
all the devices that you believe to be in conflict. Also, uninstall all
the phantom devices - they will be the ones that are grayed out.

Reboot and go into BIOS setup. Under PnP/PCI configurations see if there
is something like "reset configuration data" if there is, set it to
enabled. Save and re-boot. Windows should re-enumerate all the deleted
devices that are still present in the system and (hopefully) correct the
issue.
From: Yousuf Khan on
Trent wrote:
> Have you tried this?:
>
> Make a .cmd file with the following:
> set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
> %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> Run the created .cmd file
>
> Go into device manager, select view, "Show hidden devices" and uninstall
> all the devices that you believe to be in conflict. Also, uninstall all
> the phantom devices - they will be the ones that are grayed out.

Thanks, no I hadn't tried that yet, and now that you reminded me, I
remember having seen this years ago, so it was a good idea to try.

However, it didn't help, even after removing all phantom devices, and
even some of the live devices, the live devices just got re-detected and
put right back in their original slots.

> Reboot and go into BIOS setup. Under PnP/PCI configurations see if there
> is something like "reset configuration data" if there is, set it to
> enabled. Save and re-boot. Windows should re-enumerate all the deleted
> devices that are still present in the system and (hopefully) correct the
> issue.

There wasn't anything like that in the BIOS.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Bob I wrote:
> You are still barking up the wrong tree. You have driver issues, NOT
> "IRQ" problems. Windows only "assigns" IRQ numbers for legacy purposes.

That's the nuttiest explanation I've heard yet. IRQ's are not a "legacy"
item. They are most definitely still used, it's the only way a
peripheral can get the attention of the processor, without needing the
processor to constantly poll it.

Yousuf Khan
From: Bob I on

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Bob I wrote:
>
>> You are still barking up the wrong tree. You have driver issues, NOT
>> "IRQ" problems. Windows only "assigns" IRQ numbers for legacy purposes.
>

> That's the nuttiest explanation I've heard yet. IRQ's are not a "legacy"
> item. They are most definitely still used, it's the only way a
> peripheral can get the attention of the processor, without needing the
> processor to constantly poll it.
>
> Yousuf Khan

A general description of IRQ sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068

From: neil on
> Looks like I'm having a good old fashioned IRQ conflict. Even though IRQ's
> are theoretically shareable these days, in practice it may not be such a
> hot idea. The problem first occurred after I replaced my motherboard and
> processor on one of my systems, a couple of weeks back. I was getting a
> BSOD once every couple of days. I've had 5 BSODs so far. There has been 3
> different types of Stop messages: variously involved the
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL (twice), the BAD_POOL_HEADER (twice),
> and the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (once) errors.
>
> Initially, they involved TCPIP.SYS and IPNAT.SYS, both of which were
> network-related. So I thought it's a network card issue and I updated the
> Realtek Gigabit Ethernet driver, but that didn't help.
>
> Then a couple of days ago, I got another BSOD, but this time it involved
> the driver NV4_MINI.SYS, which is an Nvidia video card driver -- seemed
> completely unrelated. Then earlier today, I got another
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error, and this time it came from both
> the TCPIP.SYS and the NV4_MINI.SYS drivers together! That clued me into
> the idea that perhaps these two are sharing the same IRQ. I looked in
> Device Manager, sorted it by Resource Connections, and sure enough the
> gigabit ethernet and video card are both sharing IRQ 18! And that's not
> all, there's 5 other devices sharing this same IRQ too! Seven devices on
> the same IRQ line! There's only one other line, IRQ 16, that has multiple
> devices on it too, at comparatively paltry 3 devices. Every other IRQ line
> that is used only has one device on it, and there are several empty unused
> IRQ lines all over the place.
>
> So I went into the BIOS settings, but couldn't find any IRQ setting
> functions available to it. The only option I found was something that
> either enabled or disabled Plug'n'Play OS support, but not much else.
>
> I tried to go into Windows' Device Manager to manually configure the
> IRQ's, but the manual setting of resources was grayed out. According to
> this webpage, you can't manually set anything inside an ACPI-compliant PC:
>
> "You may find you cannot manually change your IRQ settings (the Use
> automatic settings will be greyed out), this is usually related to the
> ACPI function used by Win XP. "
> http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm
>
> So now I'm stuck, is there some kind of program available to reset the
> ACPI tables? Some sections of the Registry that I can change?
>
> Yousuf Khan

If I were you I would carry out an inplace upgrade (repair install) then use
the motherboard driver disk to install the chipset drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Neil