From: Volker Lendecke on
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:13:46AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
> This is the normal way to build a port. I guess if you think that there is a
> problem in this wrapping then my only recourse is to seek the port
> maintainer.

You might try to compile it manually first. It's not much
harder than installing a port:

../configure; make

Volker
From: RuiDC on

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:31:20AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
>>

>> Volker Lendecke wrote:
>> >
>> > Please compile with -g (./configure.developer will do that).
>> >

>> I did, as I selected the WITH_MAX_DEBUG and it built dmalloc, here is the
>> extract from the ports Makefile:
>>
>> .if defined(WITH_MAX_DEBUG)
>> CPPFLAGS+= -g
>> LDFLAGS+= -g
>> LIB_DEPENDS+= dmalloc.1:${PORTSDIR}/devel/dmalloc
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-debug \
>> --enable-socket-wrapper --enable-nss-wrapper \
>> --enable-developer --enable-krb5developer \
>> --enable-dmalloc --with-profiling-data
>
> Ok, I guess then something is broken with your build
> environment. Can you try building with just with
>
> ./configure; make
>
> and retry? BTW, WITH_MAX_DEBUG does not show up in the samba
> sources. What is this??

That's like a wrapper or meta-option in FreeBSD ports Makefile:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/samba33/Makefile?rev=1.9;content-type=text%2Fplain

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> You might try to compile it manually first. It's not much
> harder than installing a port:
> ./configure; make

I'm recompiling with port and debug now and capturing the output. I did see
the -g is passed to make though. I'll post the output and then see if it's
possible to do it the non-ports way - as there is no ./configure file and
there will be FreeBSD patches that need to be applied etc... but this will
take a few hours each run.

Thanks,
RuiDC
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:32:37AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:

> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > You might try to compile it manually first. It's not much
> > harder than installing a port:
> > ./configure; make
> >
> I'm recompiling with port and debug now and capturing the output. I did see
> the -g is passed to make though. I'll post the output and then see if it's
> possible to do it the non-ports way - as there is no ./configure file and
> there will be FreeBSD patches that need to be applied etc... but this will
> take a few hours each run.

What??? No ./configure? Where did you download the sources
from? This does not sound like Samba, probably we are
talking about different software packages. I am talking
about the free SMB server that you can download from
http://www.samba.org, what are you talking about???

Volker

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:32:37AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
>> possible to do it the non-ports way - as there is no ./configure file and
>
> What??? No ./configure? Where did you download the sources
> from? This does not sound like Samba, probably we are
> talking about different software packages. I am talking
> about the free SMB server that you can download from
> http://www.samba.org, what are you talking about???

We are talking about the same thing. Sorry, my mistake in communicating...
AFAIK, the way FreeBSD ports work is that they provide packaging wrappers
around the sources, so your .configure will still be there - somewhere - but
users are not meant to go near it.

RuiDC