From: RuiDC on

have the Samba developers got any ARM hardware to develop against?
As i'm now led to believe this may be a general problem with samba on
FreeBSD on ARM:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2009-December/002104.html

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> I would try to just compile "hello, world"
> with more and more Samba compile options and libraries until
> it breaks. But this is an iterative process that is very
> difficult to guide you through via mail.

Unfortunately, i'm not a C++ developer so unless the Samba developers can
assist, those of us with FreeBSD on ARM are stuck.
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:49:52AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
> ok, i have uninstalled the port version, verified it was gone, downloaded
> 3.3.9 source from samba.org, recompiled using ./configure.developer (output
> attached http://old.nabble.com/file/p26893324/samba_vanilla.tar.gz
> samba_vanilla.tar.gz ), run a make (output also in attachment), and make
> install, and run:
> set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/samba/lib
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> and get what looks like the same output:
> [root(a)splug /usr/local/samba/bin]# ./testparm
> Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
> [root(a)splug /usr/local/samba/bin]# gdb ./testparm
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "arm-marcel-freebsd"...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/samba/bin/testparm
>
> Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> 0x00012104 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt full
> #0 0x00012104 in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.
> Error accessing memory address 0x0: Bad address.
> (gdb) list
> 264 fprintf(stderr,"Warning: Service %s defines a print
> command, but \
> 265 rameter is ignored when using CUPS libraries.\n",
> 266 lp_servicename(s) );
> 267 }
> 268 #endif
> 269 }
> 270
> 271 int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
> 272 {
> 273 const char *config_file = get_dyn_CONFIGFILE();

Very weird. Next step I would try is to compile the typical
"hello, world" program and see what that does. Beyond that
-- I doubt that without access to such a box (which I do not
have) I can be of much help.

Sorry,

Volker

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Very weird. Next step I would try is to compile the typical
> "hello, world" program and see what that does. Beyond that
> -- I doubt that without access to such a box (which I do not
> have) I can be of much help.

Other compiles, including nano and bash have worked fine.
Is there anything else i can do?
Has samba ever worked on FreeBSD on ARM?
Is this configuration supported by Samba?
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:12:36PM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
> > Very weird. Next step I would try is to compile the typical
> > "hello, world" program and see what that does. Beyond that
> > -- I doubt that without access to such a box (which I do not
> > have) I can be of much help.
> >
> Other compiles, including nano and bash have worked fine.
> Is there anything else i can do?
> Has samba ever worked on FreeBSD on ARM?
> Is this configuration supported by Samba?

Well, in theory it should work, and I'd love to make it run.
The next steps I would try is to step by step strip down the
compile options from the Makefile, maybe also try to
eliminate the shared libraries we link in until we end up
with something simple enough that it starts to work.
Alternatively, I would try to just compile "hello, world"