From: Volker Lendecke on
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:43:35AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 8 on a Sheevaplug (ARM5 processor)
> I compiled and installed Samba 3.3.9 from ports using defaults and defaults
> for dependencies.
> I left the smb.conf file untouched, ran testparm and immediately received
> the coredump.
> The same happens running smbd and nmbd.
>
> Can anyone help me resolve?
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26879957/testparm.core.gz testparm.core.gz

vlendec(a)host:/tmp$ gunzip testparm.core.gz

gzip: testparm.core.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

Even if this had worked: I doubt that I could have done a
lot with a FreeBSD 8 ARM5 core. Can you run that under a
debugger and show a full backtrace (if you're using gdb it
would be the command "bt full").

Thanks,

Volker
From: RuiDC on

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Can you run that under a
> debugger and show a full backtrace (if you're using gdb it
> would be the command "bt full").

I tried that (never having debugged at this low level before...) - also
since last post i cleaned and recompiled everything again and this time
selected MAX_DEBUG=on for samba, still i only get the following:

[root(a)splug ~]# gdb testparm
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "arm-marcel-freebsd"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/testparm

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x00012104 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt full
#0 0x00012104 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
Error accessing memory address 0x0: Bad address.
(gdb) list
264 fprintf(stderr,"Warning: Service %s defines a print
command, but \
265 rameter is ignored when using CUPS libraries.\n",
266 lp_servicename(s) );
267 }
268 #endif
269 }
270
271 int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
272 {
273 const char *config_file = get_dyn_CONFIGFILE();

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 03:51:32AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:
> [root(a)splug ~]# gdb testparm
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> This GDB was configured as "arm-marcel-freebsd"...
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/testparm
>
> Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> 0x00012104 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt full
> #0 0x00012104 in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.
> Error accessing memory address 0x0: Bad address.
> (gdb) list

Please compile with -g (./configure.developer will do that).

Volker
From: RuiDC on

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Please compile with -g (./configure.developer will do that).

I did, as I selected the WITH_MAX_DEBUG and it built dmalloc, here is the
extract from the ports Makefile:

..if defined(WITH_MAX_DEBUG)
CPPFLAGS+= -g
LDFLAGS+= -g
LIB_DEPENDS+= dmalloc.1:${PORTSDIR}/devel/dmalloc
CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-debug \
--enable-socket-wrapper --enable-nss-wrapper \
--enable-developer --enable-krb5developer \
--enable-dmalloc --with-profiling-data

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:31:20AM -0800, RuiDC wrote:

> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > Please compile with -g (./configure.developer will do that).
> >

> I did, as I selected the WITH_MAX_DEBUG and it built dmalloc, here is the
> extract from the ports Makefile:
>
> .if defined(WITH_MAX_DEBUG)
> CPPFLAGS+= -g
> LDFLAGS+= -g
> LIB_DEPENDS+= dmalloc.1:${PORTSDIR}/devel/dmalloc
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-debug \
> --enable-socket-wrapper --enable-nss-wrapper \
> --enable-developer --enable-krb5developer \
> --enable-dmalloc --with-profiling-data

Ok, I guess then something is broken with your build
environment. Can you try building with just with

./configure; make

and retry? BTW, WITH_MAX_DEBUG does not show up in the samba
sources. What is this??

Thanks,

Volker