From: Rich on
On Jul 13, 7:10 am, sutartsorric <sutartsor...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 12 July, 22:37, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 'This was clearly a misunderstanding. These pictures were not a threat
> > to the public. As far as we are concerned, people can take pictures on
> > our trains.'
>
> This was no misunderstanding. This is the "lets pretend we dont know
> the rules and impose our own" attitude that all the transport
> jobsworth use initially to prevent photography.
>
> It is only when (or if) the photographer actually challenges said
> jobsworth that the management has to come out of hiding and issue the
> misunderstanding statement, to head off any legal action.
>
> For the last 10 years there has been a creeping Stalinistic tendency
> from transport management to photographers at any location. They dont
> want any photos taken, except for their own "rose tinted" promotional
> ones.

Same thing in Toronto. The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) has tried
to use The Privacy Act and tried to misuse the TTC bylaw that says you
can't shoot commercial FILM without a permit to stop still photogs
from taking images. Neither ploy has worked to the extent where some
photogs keep a copy of the TTC bylaws with them to educate the
overpaid, uneducated workers there.
From: John McWilliams on
Martin Brown wrote:
> On 13/07/2010 01:13, Paul Heslop wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>>
>>> The terrorist-under-ever-bed style kooks in Britain still hold sway.
>
> Actually the UK police are pretty good about distinguishing between the
> sorts of architectural photographs likely to be of use to terrorists and
> random snaps. In the encounters I have had with them they have always
> been professional YMMV. OTOH jobsworth private security droids deployed
> with little or no training enjoy exercising their "power" over the
> public and are basically clueless thugs.

Don't you love it when an incident becomes a whole national personna?!

> There are moronic jobsworths everywhere. But the AP story may only be a
> part of the tale - if the guy was photographing parts of the train that
> would be a target for sabotage then the operator might have had a point.
>
> Remember that in the UK we have lived with the threat of US funded IRA
> terrorists blowing up our shopping centres and infrastructure for over
> four decades. Islamic terrorists are more willing to inflict gratuitous
> civilian casualties but large bombs in our cities are not new.
>
> BTW Yesterday was the peak of the rioting season in Northern Ireland.

I hope said peak doesn't get surpassed, ever.
BTW, for non-Brits, from Wiki:

A jobsworth is a person who uses his or her job description in a
deliberately uncooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in
an obstructive or unhelpful manner.
"Jobsworth" is an almost exclusively British word deriving from the
phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth". The Oxford
English Dictionary describes it as British colloquial, and defines it as
"A person in authority (esp. a minor official) who insists on adhering
to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense
of common sense."[1] Jonathon Green similarly defines "jobsworth" as "a
minor factotum whose only status comes from enforcing otherwise petty
regulations".[2]
From: Paul Heslop on
John McWilliams wrote:

> Martin Brown wrote:

> > Actually the UK police are pretty good about distinguishing between the
> > sorts of architectural photographs likely to be of use to terrorists and
> > random snaps. In the encounters I have had with them they have always
> > been professional YMMV. OTOH jobsworth private security droids deployed
> > with little or no training enjoy exercising their "power" over the
> > public and are basically clueless thugs.
>
> Don't you love it when an incident becomes a whole national personna?!
>
> > There are moronic jobsworths everywhere. But the AP story may only be a
> > part of the tale - if the guy was photographing parts of the train that
> > would be a target for sabotage then the operator might have had a point.
> >
> > Remember that in the UK we have lived with the threat of US funded IRA
> > terrorists blowing up our shopping centres and infrastructure for over
> > four decades. Islamic terrorists are more willing to inflict gratuitous
> > civilian casualties but large bombs in our cities are not new.
> >
> > BTW Yesterday was the peak of the rioting season in Northern Ireland.
>
> I hope said peak doesn't get surpassed, ever.
> BTW, for non-Brits, from Wiki:
>
> A jobsworth is a person who uses his or her job description in a
> deliberately uncooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in
> an obstructive or unhelpful manner.
> "Jobsworth" is an almost exclusively British word deriving from the
> phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth". The Oxford
> English Dictionary describes it as British colloquial, and defines it as
> "A person in authority (esp. a minor official) who insists on adhering
> to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense
> of common sense."[1] Jonathon Green similarly defines "jobsworth" as "a
> minor factotum whose only status comes from enforcing otherwise petty
> regulations".[2]

yup, that's the bastards
--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Robert Coe on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:30:50 +0100, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: Remember that in the UK we have lived with the threat of US funded IRA
: terrorists blowing up our shopping centres and infrastructure for over
: four decades. Islamic terrorists are more willing to inflict gratuitous
: civilian casualties but large bombs in our cities are not new.
:
: BTW Yesterday was the peak of the rioting season in Northern Ireland.

And why are there so many IRA sympathizers in the US? Because their ancestors
migrated here en masse during the mid-19th century, bringing an abiding hatred
of the British with them. And why was that? Because the Brits, who ruled
Ireland at the time, did absolutely nothing to help the victims of a five-year
failure of the potato crop, and many of the migrants' relatives starved.

I don't hold any brief for the IRA. (As it happens, I'm of British, not Irish,
ancestry.) But what goes around comes around.

Bob
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 06:53:13 +0100, Paul Heslop <paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: > And why are there so many IRA sympathizers in the US? Because their ancestors
: > migrated here en masse during the mid-19th century, bringing an abiding hatred
: > of the British with them. And why was that? Because the Brits, who ruled
: > Ireland at the time, did absolutely nothing to help the victims of a five-year
: > failure of the potato crop, and many of the migrants' relatives starved.
: >
: > I don't hold any brief for the IRA. (As it happens, I'm of British, not Irish,
: > ancestry.) But what goes around comes around.
: >
: > Bob
:
: that's a bad saying to stick to though. it means virtually all, if not
: all, countries will get it in the teeth from someone. I am English and
: despise what my country did in the past and sometimes still does
: today. so I should be punished for something an arsehole did in the
: past?

You shouldn't, but old habits die hard. And old habits inherited from the past
often die hardest of all.

Bob