From: Thomas (Tom) Skoropad on
Greetings,

I guess it is time to bite the bullet. At present using Eudora 5.2 on
2 Win XP Pro machines. Would like to install ver 7.1, but as a
separate install on each machine then move data files over as needed.
eventually deleting ver 5.2. Any suggestions/tricks?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/20/2010 10:22 AM, Thomas (Tom) Skoropad wrote:

> I guess it is time to bite the bullet. At present using Eudora 5.2 on
> 2 Win XP Pro machines. Would like to install ver 7.1, but as a
> separate install on each machine then move data files over as needed.
> eventually deleting ver 5.2. Any suggestions/tricks?

Backup your data folder (as a comforting "insurance policy" -- "zip" is cool)
then "install over" (normally no trouble at all).

Easier, in fact, than biting a speeding bullet :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDcARq8ty8

From: Thomas (Tom) Skoropad on
John, the reason I wanted to do a separate install is that for some
reason when I installed 5.2 clean on this new laptop early last year,
Eudora decided for what ever reason, that when right clicking on an
email attachment, it won't allow me to explore, open with, or delete
same. Strangely double clicking the link does open the file in the
appropriate app.

I thought maybe a clean install would solve the issue. I have 5.2
installed identically (same paths) on my XP pro desktop, and moved
data files from an old machine to that machine with no issues. Did the
same procedure with the laptop and the broken attachment link problem
surfaced. Research tells me that this problem does happen and has
something to do with how certain computer hard drives are identified
and file names being tagged differently, in this case on my Toshiba
laptop.

By data folder I'm assuming you mean this complete folder?
"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora" except for the Eudora.exe,
swEudora.exe, & pdf read files?

Regards,
Tom

www.teskordesign.ca
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/20/2010 5:03 PM, Thomas (Tom) Skoropad wrote:

> Research tells me that this problem does happen and has
> something to do with how certain computer hard drives are identified
> and file names being tagged differently.

You might have researched about Macintosh classic Eudora,
where this is a real issue, but it's not on Windows,
where every attachment within incoming messages is indicated,
as you would see by viewing the mailbox file directly,
by lines exactly like this, via a path name:

Attachment Converted: "C:\.....\Eudora\attach\Some_file.pdf"

If your current attachments directory
is not the same path as was in effect
when you received an older incoming message,
then some fine details may not work identically,
but Windows Eudora will look again anyway,
in the _current_ attachments folder,
for any "gee, have I been moved?" attachments,
at least when you try to open them -- I haven't tried
every other function, but perhaps someone else
has had the energy to exhaustively try every possible function.

You can, in any case, make a Windows shortcut to instantly open
your current attachments folder, without needing any help from Eudora.

This has nothing to do with how you install the program files,
in which "installing over" the existing version is not only okay,
but is generally the least effort,
and least likely to introduce some unexpected side effects,
such as a program launching shortcut needing to be changed,
or mail and settings stored in the programs folder not being found.

Of course, you should never have your mail and settings
stored in the same folder as the program files.

Windows 7 (and Vista) are especially troublesome if you do,
because by default, they won't allow applications
to write anything in the system locations for program files
(they may pretend to, but all writing then occurs elsewhere,
and leads to complications down the road).

> By data folder I'm assuming you mean this complete folder?
> "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora" except for the Eudora.exe,
> swEudora.exe,& pdf read files?

No, I mean where the mail and settings are -- oh no,
yours are not in the same folder as the program files, are they?

"Program files" means a great many more things then just the ".exe" files.

One may even clean up a set of old program files by performing an "uninstall."
Eudora's own "uninstall" removes only those files which it installs,
leaving behind the user's files (mail and settings, etc.),
which can then be moved elsewhere to keep them separate from now on.

Nothing says that you can't first make a backup of this folder,
as not only a general precaution, but to make up for all the years
of never having made a backup before, should that be the case :)

From: Thomas (Tom) Skoropad on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:29:06 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/20/2010 5:03 PM, Thomas (Tom) Skoropad wrote:
>
>> Research tells me that this problem does happen and has
>> something to do with how certain computer hard drives are identified
>> and file names being tagged differently.
>
>You might have researched about Macintosh classic Eudora,
>where this is a real issue, but it's not on Windows,
>where every attachment within incoming messages is indicated,
>as you would see by viewing the mailbox file directly,
>by lines exactly like this, via a path name:
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\.....\Eudora\attach\Some_file.pdf"

This not only occurs with older attachments copied from my desktop but
new links in current emails. Example below will open when clicked but
when right clicked and delete selected Eudora says "Cannot delete
file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"

file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\IMG_0527.jpg

>If your current attachments directory
>is not the same path as was in effect
>when you received an older incoming message,
>then some fine details may not work identically,
>but Windows Eudora will look again anyway,
>in the _current_ attachments folder,
>for any "gee, have I been moved?" attachments,
>at least when you try to open them -- I haven't tried
>every other function, but perhaps someone else
>has had the energy to exhaustively try every possible function.
>
>You can, in any case, make a Windows shortcut to instantly open
>your current attachments folder, without needing any help from Eudora.
>
>This has nothing to do with how you install the program files,
>in which "installing over" the existing version is not only okay,
>but is generally the least effort,
>and least likely to introduce some unexpected side effects,
>such as a program launching shortcut needing to be changed,
>or mail and settings stored in the programs folder not being found.

>Of course, you should never have your mail and settings
>stored in the same folder as the program files.

Oops mine are. How come, was it me during install unknowingly making a
wrong selection?

>Windows 7 (and Vista) are especially troublesome if you do,
>because by default, they won't allow applications
>to write anything in the system locations for program files
>(they may pretend to, but all writing then occurs elsewhere,
>and leads to complications down the road).
>
>> By data folder I'm assuming you mean this complete folder?
>> "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora" except for the Eudora.exe,
>> swEudora.exe,& pdf read files?
>
>No, I mean where the mail and settings are -- oh no,
>yours are not in the same folder as the program files, are they?

As before. Nope. :(
My reasoning was that a maybe a clean install of version 7, and
copying the data over after might be easier.

>"Program files" means a great many more things then just the ".exe" files.
>
>One may even clean up a set of old program files by performing an "uninstall."
>Eudora's own "uninstall" removes only those files which it installs,
>leaving behind the user's files (mail and settings, etc.),
>which can then be moved elsewhere to keep them separate from now on.
>
>Nothing says that you can't first make a backup of this folder,
>as not only a general precaution, but to make up for all the years
>of never having made a backup before, should that be the case :)

Thanks,
Tom
www.teskordesign.ca
 |  Next  |  Last