From: Mike Gonta on
"Mike Gonta" <e...(a)mikegonta.com> wrote:

> There is no "G" in the Greek alphabet.

Not even a gamma ( Γ γ ) in Ελληνικά ( Greek )

0Γ = 19

Mike Gonta

look and see - many look but few see

From: Mike Gonta on
On Apr 11, 12:39 pm, "Mike Gonta" <e...(a)mikegonta.com> wrote:

>       0Γ = 19

oops

0Γ = 12

From: rhyde on
On Apr 11, 6:44 am, "Mike Gonta" <e...(a)mikegonta.com> wrote:
> In English hexadecimal notation uses the first 6 characters of the
> Latin character set ( A-F ) to represent the values 10 to 15.
> If your native language uses a different character set, for example
> Cyrillic or Greek, do you use the first 6 characters of that set or:
>
> Is hex an ascii thing?

It's just a representation. So you can use whatever you want. However,
if you expect other people to make sense of what you're writing, it's
a good idea to stick to the standard conventions. Based on nearly
every hexadecimal conversion routine I've ever seen, I think it's safe
to say that "Hex(adecimal) representation in computer programs is an
ASCII thing." There is no reason someone couldn't use Cyrillic or
Greek symbols. There is no requirement that they be the first six
letters of their alphabet. Indeed, there is no requirement that they
be letters of the alphabet at all. All that is important is that you
have sixteen distinct symbols (and the first 10 don't have to be the
Arabic numerals, either) and that whomever you're communicating with
agrees to your representation. The last issue is the real rub -- most
other people expect 0-9 and A-F when reading some string
representation of a hexadecimal value.
hLater,
Randy Hyde

From: [Jongware] on
"Mike Gonta" <email(a)mikegonta.com> wrote in message
> "[Jongware]" <sorry(a)no_spam.plz> wrote:
>
> > Besides, if it was used in (for example) an assembly source, they would need
> > a "localized" version of atoi to correctly convert it to (binary) decimal in
> > their assembler.
>
> How about Unicode support?

How about that? The string "0x1A" in Unicode is still recognizable by an
extended atoi() function. Replace the character 'A' with any other first
character in another alphabet and it is not.
Though for variable names, it should be no problem -- mov eax,[?????????] should
work just fine.

> > A minor note is that the order of characters is a bit different. In Greek,
> > the first 5 characters are alpha,beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, theta, so 0x1G
> > would equal 19 (decimal).
>
> There is no "G" in the Greek alphabet.

I guessed my email client would not accept it -- I meant 0x1? (which would be
18, BTW). But a true 'meta-language' assembler should ALSO be prepared to
accept, for example, Chinese numerals.

Maybe we should stick to the de facto definition of a hex number as "consisting
of 0 to 9 and A to F".

[Jongware]

From: [Jongware] on
"[Jongware]" <IdontWantSpam(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
[etc]
> Though for variable names, it should be no problem -- mov eax,[?????????]
should
> work just fine.

-- except for brain-dead text editors which kill my nice Greek variable name,
that is.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: DIV overflow