From: Frank Kotler on
Evenbit wrote:
> On Apr 13, 4:52 am, Frank Kotler <fbkot...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>you don't need to know __NR_write or STDOUT, or whether the parameters
>>go in ebx, ecx, ... or rdi, rsi, ... or on the stack. The price you pay
>>is that it doesn't "show" as much...
>

> ...and once you start down *that* path...
>
> ...sooner or later you are creating a monstrous "standard library" and
> adding nice "language features" to the compiler...
>
> ...and you find yourself back where you started in High Loopy
> Land!! :)

Exactly! That's why there are so many people there, and so few here.
You've gotta know *exactly* when to break out of the loop. If I figure
it out, I'll let ya know! :)

Best,
Frank
From: Robert Redelmeier on
Evenbit <nbaker2328(a)charter.net> wrote in part:
> Speaking of mess (locally and on the net), I have been looking
> all over but still can't find the all the magic numbers I need
> to make Linux sys-calls. Does anyone know the value for the
> 'flags' argument to 'sys_open' when you want it read only?

/usr/include/asm/fcntl.h as hinted by `man open`

> I know that sys_open is 5.

As listed in /usr/include/asm/unistd.h

HTH
-- Robert

From: Evenbit on
On Apr 13, 9:46 am, Robert Redelmeier <red...(a)ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
> Evenbit <nbaker2...(a)charter.net> wrote in part:
>
> > Speaking of mess (locally and on the net), I have been looking
> > all over but still can't find the all the magic numbers I need
> > to make Linux sys-calls. Does anyone know the value for the
> > 'flags' argument to 'sys_open' when you want it read only?
>
> /usr/include/asm/fcntl.h as hinted by `man open`
>
> > I know that sys_open is 5.
>
> As listed in /usr/include/asm/unistd.h

At first I was going to reply that my Ubuntu distro has basically
"void" headers there... but now I see that the actual headers are in /
usr/include/asm-i386 ... cool!

Thanks.

Nathan.

First  |  Prev  |