From: Mike Gonta on
On Apr 11, 2:59 pm, "r...(a)cs.ucr.edu" <r...(a)cs.ucr.edu> wrote:

> It's just a representation. So you can use whatever you want. However,
> if you expect other people to make sense of what you're writing, it's
> a good idea to stick to the standard conventions.

Other than the 0-9, A-F apparently there's no agreed upon standard for
the indicator that the representation is hexadecimal.

> Based on nearly
> every hexadecimal conversion routine I've ever seen, I think it's safe
> to say that "Hex(adecimal) representation in computer programs is an
> ASCII thing."

These routines would need to be updated to accommodate Unicode (or at
least UTF-16).

> There is no reason someone couldn't use Cyrillic or
> Greek symbols.

Do you mean 0-9 and the first 6 letters of their respective character
sets?

> There is no requirement that they be the first six
> letters of their alphabet.

Apparently the Bendix computer circa 1956, used 0-9, U-Z.

> Indeed, there is no requirement that they
> be letters of the alphabet at all. All that is important is that you
> have sixteen distinct symbols (and the first 10 don't have to be the
> Arabic numerals, either)

Let's not rock the boat. After all numbers are numbers, although users
of other languages might choose to use their own numeralical
characters.

> and that whomever you're communicating with
> agrees to your representation. The last issue is the real rub -- most
> other people expect 0-9 and A-F when reading some string
> representation of a hexadecimal value.

I'm just wondering if this is a generalized thing due to the
historical lack of a universal character representation (Unicode) and/
or the difficulty in upgrading our programming environment to utilize
Unicode.

Mike Gonta

look and see - many look but few see

From: Mike Gonta on
"[Jongware]" <IdontWantS...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> How about that? The string "0x1A" in Unicode is still recognizable by an
> extended atoi() function.

That's because 7bit ASCII is a proper subset of Unicode.

> Replace the character 'A' with any other first
> character in another alphabet and it is not.

My point exactly.

> Maybe we should stick to the de facto definition of a hex number as "consisting
> of 0 to 9 and A to F".

Yes indeed. The numerals and the first 6 letters of the alphabet.
But why must the characters be English?
Worst still is the lack of agreement on the indicator that the number
is in fact hexadecimal.

From: Jim Carlock on
"[Jongware]" wrote...

News reader: Outlook Express
Greek Capital Letter Gamma...

Accessories\System Tools\Character Map.
Set the Font to Arial.
Scroll down to U+0393 Greek Capital Letter Gamma, select it
by clicking on it, then Click on the Select button.
Click on the Copy button.

Not sure if this works or not. Will see.

--
Jim Carlock

From: Jim Carlock on
"[Jongware]" wrote...

"Jim Carlock" posted...
: News reader: Outlook Express
: Greek Capital Letter Gamma...
: G
:
: Accessories\System Tools\Character Map.
: Set the Font to Arial.
: Scroll down to U+0393 Greek Capital Letter Gamma, select it
: by clicking on it, then Click on the Select button.
: Click on the Copy button.
:
: Not sure if this works or not. Will see.

Well it worked before I pressed the Send button. Seems to require
a Greek Newsgroup with HTML encoding to be able to handle the
extra characters.

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...
10 ? ? ? ? ? � ? ? ? ?
20 � � ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
30 ? ? !

Character 218 comes close maybe? <g>

ALT+218 will get you Capital Greek Letter Gamma...
+amma

Oh well... newsgroups with HTML enchoding!

--
Jim Carlock

From: Jim Carlock on
One more thing to try...