From: Mike Gonta on
In English hexadecimal notation uses the first 6 characters of the
Latin character set ( A-F ) to represent the values 10 to 15.
If your native language uses a different character set, for example
Cyrillic or Greek, do you use the first 6 characters of that set or:

Is hex an ascii thing?

Mike Gonta

look and see - many look but few see

From: Wolfgang Kern on

"Mike Gonta" asked:

> In English hexadecimal notation uses the first 6 characters of the
> Latin character set ( A-F ) to represent the values 10 to 15.
> If your native language uses a different character set, for example
> Cyrillic or Greek, do you use the first 6 characters of that set or:
>
> Is hex an ascii thing?

I'm not Greek, but I think also Greek and Russian programmers
use ASCII a..f (or A..F) in hexadecimal notations.

so: Yes.
__
wolfgang

From: [Jongware] on
"Wolfgang Kern" <nowhere(a)nevernet.at> wrote in message

> "Mike Gonta" asked:
>
>> In English hexadecimal notation uses the first 6 characters of the
>> Latin character set ( A-F ) to represent the values 10 to 15.
>> If your native language uses a different character set, for example
>> Cyrillic or Greek, do you use the first 6 characters of that set or:
>>
>> Is hex an ascii thing?
>
> I'm not Greek, but I think also Greek and Russian programmers
> use ASCII a..f (or A..F) in hexadecimal notations.
>
> so: Yes.
> __
> wolfgang

Besides, if it was used in (for example) an assembly source, they would need
a "localized" version of atoi to correctly convert it to (binary) decimal in
their assembler.
A minor note is that the order of characters is a bit different. In Greek,
the first 5 characters are alpha,beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, theta, so 0x1G
would equal 19 (decimal).
I must admit I have no idea if non-Latin programmers use their own
alphabet-keyed keyboards to program.

[Jw]

From: Mike Gonta on
"Wolfgang Kern" <nowh...(a)nevernet.at> wrote:

> I'm not Greek, but I think also Greek and Russian programmers
> use ASCII a..f (or A..F) in hexadecimal notations.
>
> so: Yes.

I'm not Greek, but I use the ocassional Greek letter in mathematical
notion.
Are we using ASCII as a convention or due to the lack of Unicode
support in programming.

From: Mike Gonta on
"[Jongware]" <sorry(a)no_spam.plz> wrote:

> Besides, if it was used in (for example) an assembly source, they would need
> a "localized" version of atoi to correctly convert it to (binary) decimal in
> their assembler.

How about Unicode support?

> A minor note is that the order of characters is a bit different. In Greek,
> the first 5 characters are alpha,beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, theta, so 0x1G
> would equal 19 (decimal).

There is no "G" in the Greek alphabet.

> I must admit I have no idea if non-Latin programmers use their own
> alphabet-keyed keyboards to program.

None the less, thank you for your feedback.

Mike Gonta

look and see - many look but few see

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8