From: Dana DeLouis on
One workaround...
I'll use Range Names. Break the equation into Left and Right hand sides.
Subtract the two.
Have Goal Seek Set LHS - RHS to zero, by adjusting G.
Not sure what you mean by "multiple equations"

LHS =(P*R_)-(P*G)
RHS =D+(D*G)

=LHS-RHS

Note: Solver and Goal Seek are only good for finding 1 solution.
It won't work as-is if you have a polynomial equation to return multiple
solutions.
= = = = = = =
HTH :>)
Dana DeLouis

From: Billns on
On 4/26/2010 9:18 AM, WA wrote:
> Correct - I am looking for an equation that can do algebra. The solver plugin
> takes a lot of time when there are multiple equations. My apologies for the
> vague initial post.
>
> "zxcv" wrote:
>
>> On Apr 26, 10:44 am, Gary Brown<junk_at_kinneson_dot_com> wrote:
>>> G = ((P * R) - D)/(D + P)
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps.
>>> If it does, please click the Yes button.
>>> Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>>> Gary Brown

>> Not to answer for the OP but he said the formula was just an example.
>> It sounds like he is asking if there is a function that can do
>> algebra. My first thought is "no" but I would be interested in seeing
>> if there is something that can.
>> .

Well, how many equations are there and how often do they change? I would
think doing the algebra to solve for each equation as Gary suggested
would be the easiest way. I'm pretty sure Excel doesn't have a function
that will do this for you. You might also consider using an alternate
math only program instead of Excel.

Bill
From: Bernard Liengme on
Email be directly (get my email addy from my website)
I will show how to solve multiple equation in one go
Or, have a look at http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Solver.mht
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Michael.Tarnowski on
Hi Bernard,
what file kind is denoted by the extension .mht? - I can open it with
IE but not with FFox.
Cheers Michael

From: Bernard Liengme on
It is a web page that hold its own images.
I did not know it was browser specific - thanks for the heads up.
best wishes
Bernard