From: Twibil on
On Apr 29, 10:20 am, Yrrah <Yrrah-...(a)acf.invalid> wrote:

> > Have you even looked around?
>
> Good question.

No. Silly question.

Not only is asking for relevant info on Newgroups part of the process
of "looking around", but sharing such information is one of the
primary reasons Newsgroups evolved in the first place. (Neither is
there a rule against beginners innocently asking simple questions.)

Posters who supply non-answers -such as "Have you even looked
around?"- are simply attempting to feed their egos by putting down
folks who've asked questions that are perfectly on-topic for the
newsgroup.
From: Craig on
On 04/29/2010 11:28 AM, Twibil wrote:
> On Apr 29, 10:20 am, Yrrah<Yrrah-...(a)acf.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> Have you even looked around?
>>
>> Good question.
>
> No. Silly question.

No, really. Good question. May have been curt but <shrug>.

> Not only is asking for relevant info on Newgroups part of the process
> of "looking around"...

Yea, after lurking or checking the archives, e.g.
<http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=+group:alt.comp.freeware>.

> but sharing such information is one of the
> primary reasons Newsgroups evolved in the first place. (Neither is
> there a rule against beginners innocently asking simple questions.)

Good habits, like bad, are formed early. No need to coddle "beginners."
Best to teach them how to fish right from the get-go.
<http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

> Posters who supply non-answers...are simply attempting to feed their egos ...

Ironic.

--
-Craig
From: Twibil on
On Apr 29, 11:47 am, Craig <netburg...(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

> >> Good question.
>
> > No. Silly question.
>
> No, really.  Good question.  May have been curt but <shrug>.

Sorry. That's nothing but an excuse for being unnecessarily impolite.

> > Not only is asking for relevant info on Newgroups part of the process
> > of "looking around"...
>
> Yea, after lurking or checking the archives, e.g.
> <http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=+group:alt.comp.free...>.

Anyone is free to ask any question they wish without first passing
whatever tests you -or anyone else- may dream up: you don't make the
rules. And if someone chooses to respond to an innocent question with
insults rather than useful suggestions, it says a lot more about them
than it does about the questioner.

> > but sharing such information is one of the
> > primary reasons Newsgroups evolved in the first place. (Neither is
> > there a rule against beginners innocently asking simple questions.)
>
> Good habits, like bad, are formed early.  No need to coddle "beginners."
> Best to teach them how to fish right from the get-go.
> <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

One can do that politely. Asking "Have you even looked around?" is an
insult, and helps nothing except the sad little ego of the guy who
thought he was being cool by insulting someone who simply asked for
help.

> > Posters who supply non-answers...are simply attempting to feed their egos ...
>
> Ironic.

Um, I didn't supply a "non-answer". Meaning that your personal
definition of "ironic" is "something that has to do with
blacksmithing".
From: Craig on
On 04/29/2010 12:20 PM, Twibil wrote:
> you don't make the rules

Eternal September

--
-Craig
From: iuridicus_wannabeee on

"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:750f0aa0495b4dbf2eac4bf2519d3f41(a)tioat.net...
> Is there freeware that will blur just a selected portion of a digial
> photograph?

I think FastStone Image Viewer is what you need: Open (your) file > Edit >
Obscure (Blur).
You can find the proggie here: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

I hope this helps.
ern3sto