From: Bowser on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:15:06 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>Is there freeware that will blur just a selected portion of a digial
>photograph?

If you're running Windows, Paint.net is a good option.

getpaint.net
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:10:42 +0200, "iuridicus_wannabeee"
<apprentice(a)oceania.org> wrote:

>"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
>in message news:750f0aa0495b4dbf2eac4bf2519d3f41(a)tioat.net...
>> Is there freeware that will blur just a selected portion of a digial
>> photograph?
>
>I think FastStone Image Viewer is what you need: Open (your) file > Edit >
>Obscure (Blur).
>You can find the proggie here: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm
>
>I hope this helps.
>ern3sto

FastStone blurs the entire image, not just a selected area. Great
program, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: iuridicus_wannabeee on

> FastStone blurs the entire image, not just a selected area. Great
> program, though.

Not quite correct: of course, you have to select mode (edit > select mode,
and to choose what do you want to blur: rectangle area, circle or freehand
area).
Tried few secs ago, works.
It's free, fast, great program, and it CAN blur selected area:)!

ern3sto

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:02:06 +0200, "iuridicus_wannabeee"
<apprentice(a)oceania.org> wrote:

>> FastStone blurs the entire image, not just a selected area. Great
>> program, though.
>>

>Not quite correct: of course, you have to select mode (edit > select mode,
>and to choose what do you want to blur: rectangle area, circle or freehand
>area).
>Tried few secs ago, works.
>It's free, fast, great program, and it CAN blur selected area:)!

I use FastStone Image Viewer 3.7, and don't see an option to select.
Perhaps that's present in a later version.

Since I have CS4, I don't edit in FastStone, but I use it as a viewer
and to cull my day's shots. The tagging, sorting, compare images, and
re-numbering is really easier to do in FastStone than in Bridge or
Lightroom.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Ian Jackson on
In message <MRbCn.108186$pV1.83506(a)newsfe21.ams2>, rich
<rich(a)nohome.com> writes
>On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:15:06 +0000, Judy Zappacosta wrote:
>
>> Is there freeware that will blur just a selected portion of a digial
>> photograph?
>
>Gimp - has a section of filters for different blurs:
>
>see: http://www.imageno.com/qk8to4hkfj0spic.html
>
>try the portable version
>
>http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
>
>otherwise
>
>http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

If you've already got Microsoft Photo Editor, the Smudge tool does it.
[Right click for options.]
--
Ian