From: iuridicus_wannabeee on

> I use FastStone Image Viewer 3.7, and don't see an option to select.
> Perhaps that's present in a later version.

Ah, that's the point: there are FastStone Image Viewer versions newer than
yours: 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.1 and even 4.2 :) = so why don't you use the newest
one?

> Since I have CS4, I don't edit in FastStone, but I use it as a viewer
> and to cull my day's shots. The tagging, sorting, compare images, and
> re-numbering is really easier to do in FastStone than in Bridge or
> Lightroom.

I don't need CS4 to simply cut pic, or resize/resample, or to add some text
or arrow (or to blur selected area of digital pics:) - CS4 is simply to slow
for that. But for "real" and complex editing, definitely Photoshop, Corel
Photopaint or as Bowser mentioned - Paint.NET (or some others too). I
dislike .net framework (impact on functioning of OS) , so I do not use .net
apps.

What I do like is Ubuntu 10.04, installed it an hour ago on my HP 8510p,
works impeccably, like a charm! (amd64-bit desktop), even Compiz works
great, configured in few minutes.

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 23:54:08 +0200, "iuridicus_wannabeee"
<apprentice(a)oceania.org> wrote:

>> I use FastStone Image Viewer 3.7, and don't see an option to select.
>> Perhaps that's present in a later version.
>>
>Ah, that's the point: there are FastStone Image Viewer versions newer than
>yours: 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.1 and even 4.2 :) = so why don't you use the newest
>one?

Because what I have works. For what I do in FastStone, my current
version works fine.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Judy Zappacosta on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:57:17 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

> select a portion of an image and
> run a Gaussian blur on it. Have you even looked around?

Irfanview doesn't do a selection blur.
From: Bruce on
On Mon, 3 May 2010 18:27:08 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:57:17 -0700, John Corliss wrote:
>
>> select a portion of an image and
>> run a Gaussian blur on it. Have you even looked around?
>
>Irfanview doesn't do a selection blur.

Oh, but it does. ;-)

Click on the "Image" drop down menu, click on "Effects" (near the
bottom of the menu) and then select "Blur". You can apply this to the
whole image or just a selection.

You need to have installed the Plugin "Effects" when installing
IrfanView. Why anyone wouldn't do that, I don't know.

From: Spamblk on
bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in

> Yes. Gimp.
>
> Make selection
> filter->blur
>
> BugBear

Indeed. A quick and convenient way especially if you only have a few
areas to blur.

If you really want to be technical you can also use layer masks:

Duplicate layer --> Gaussinan blur of that layer --> add layer mask
(black) = all transparent.

Then blur specific areas by painting with a white brush on the layer
mask.

When finished --> flatten image.

The GIMP is one of the best examples of freware that I know of.