From: David Harper on

"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> Many cable modems also will show the signal quality that they are
> seeing on the line, using a measurement called "signal to noise
> ratio". If this is high, you may have a noisy or bad cable line.

William, of course, meant:

"If this is *LOW*, you may have a noisy or bad cable line."

- David Harper

From: Christopher Muto on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Actually, I checked further and I didn't order it that long ago.
>
> I knew that I remembered the discussion from somewhere.
>
>> Is that enough information to tell you that it is okay?
>
> The CM100 is a DOCSIS compliant modem, supporting versions 1.0, 1.1
> and 2.0. I was not able to determine what they offer for certain, but
> Charter is offering some DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems.
>
> DOCSIS is said to be compatible in all directions. If you have a
> DOCSIS 1.1 compliant modem, you can use it on a DOCSIS 2.0 cable
> network. The reverse should also be true...a DOCSIS 3.0 modem would
> work on a 2.0 network. Features provided in a newer version of DOCSIS
> won't be available to equipment that supports the older version.
>
> As best I can tell, the only thing added to DOCSIS 3.0 is support for
> IPv6 protocol. DOCSIS 2.0 provided for enhanced communication speeds
> over the previous revisions. If this is true and DOCSIS 3.0 only
> brings support for IPv6, an older modem could theoretically have its
> operating software upgraded to a release supporting IPv6 as that is a
> software-only issue.
>
> (Cable companies can upgrade the firmware in your cable modem from
> afar. They do this in much the same way as they do when sending
> parameters to it.)
>
> I think that Charter may have incorrect information on the equipment
> you have--OR they are being somewhat dishonest and trying to rent/sell
> you something that you do not need. As DOCSIS is *the* standard for
> data exchange over cable TV networks, I doubt Charter would be doing
> something different.
>
> Therefore, I strongly doubt that you have to upgrade your cable modem.
> I would recommend keeping your current equipment and continuing to use
> it.
>
> William

i looked up the specs too (wow did cisco ruin the linksys site!) and i
totally agree. there is no motivation to upgrade from the perspective
of compatibility. however, i did notice that the cm100 is a usb 1.1
type device and that presents a potential bottle neck that can be
improved upon. this is only an issue if you happen to have the modem
connected to your computer via the usb port. if it is connected via the
ethernet port on the cm100 then the speed of the usb port is irrelevant.
either way, you really should have a router between your computer and
the cm100 for security reasons (and side benefit of being able to share
the high speed cable internet with other computer wired or wirelessly).
newer cable modems do offer faster throughput but it is likely that
the additional throughput far exceeds the typically throttled
(slowed/controlled max) speed that your cable company supplies. i think
their letter is just marketing. keep in mind that men have been elected
president based largely on fear... i am certain it helps in selling
modems too. smart of you to question the motivation of their letter.
though it may not technically be wrong, the newer higher performance
equipment will do nothing for you. kind of like buying a 257mph ssc
ultimate aero to drive on national highways with 55mph speed limits...
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> "If this is *LOW*, you may have a noisy or bad cable line."

Oops. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had it mixed up now that I've gone back
and looked. I tend to do that at times, more often than I should.

William
From: MZB on
Thanks for the info, Chris.

I do have a linksys router as well.

Mel

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/7/2010 10:25 AM, MZB wrote:
> I got the email below from Charter. About 15 months ago I got tired of
> paying their $5/month modem charge and bought a new (reconditioned) lynksys
> modem. It works great but I have noticed that things are a tad slower of
> late. But I don't know if this is accurate, or just a sales pitch. Is there
> some way to test this?
>
> Mel
>

> Things are getting faster all the time and we're here to keep you up
> to speed.
>
> Based on your account information, you have an older modem that is no
> longer optimizing your Charter Internet experience.
>
> It is important for you to take action and replace your modem. This
> ensures that you continue to receive the fastest and most reliable Internet
> speeds available?.
>
> To help make this process easy, you can lease a new modem for only
> $5/mo or purchase a replacement. Click the link below to get started.
>

> REPLACE YOUR MODEM NOW>
>
> Thank you for choosing Charter. We look forward to many more years of
> delivering you the best Internet experience.
>

> Sincerely,
> The Charter Internet Team

Well, good old bankrupt Chapter 11 Charter DID upgrade the speed of its
service here in central MA, and it was done free of charge. Supposedly,
you need a DOCSIS 3.0-compliant cable modem to actually get the high
speed. But other people here in town continue to use older Motorola
Surfboards like the SB4100, and they report faster speeds. Feeling
flush with cash, I spent less than $100 for a Motorola SB6120 cable
modem, putting my old SB4100 aside, and yes, it is faster.

Here is what I suggest. Go to www.dslreports.com and run a few of the
various speed tests there, and see what speed you are getting versus the
alleged speed advertised by Charter. Then make a decision based on
fact, not being pushed by Charter or swayed by the experience of someone
else in possibly different circumstances... Ben Myers

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: problem with my wireless card
Next: POSSIBLE MODEMS