From: RnR on
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:11:21 -0400, "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net>
wrote:

>nope

Ok, I tried :(

As Ben pointed out, can be many reasons so hard to say from here.
Usually my reason is the virus checking. If all pc's / laptops are
playing on line videos, music, etc... that can also do it as well as
web traffic, non-optimized settings (MTU etc..), ISP and so forth.
From: Cmplx80 on
MZB wrote:
> [snip]
> BUT, I do find at times things slow down to a CRAWL. I am talking about
> going from one site to anotger (websurfing). Everything just almost freezes.
>
> Mel

Site to site sluggishness is often a latency problem instead of an
up/download problem. If the page begins to load shortly after clicking a
link, but takes a long time to download, then this is a speed problem.
However, if after clicking on a link, the "busy" cursor is displayed or
you see no indication of a page loading, this is most likely a problem
with DNS. This could happen if (1) Charter's DNS servers are responding
slowly, (2) You have the wrong DNS address configured in your network
setup, (3) Your URLs are being hijacked to another server.

Frank
From: MZB on
Thanks for all your helpful responses.
Based on those responses, I see no reason to get a new modem.

I still have no idea what is causing the occassional CRAWLING.

One thing I've noticed: the fan is often on when this is happening. Can my
computer be running too hot (ie: could those be symptoms of a computer
running too hot?).

Basically, what happens is I click on a page and nothing happens for maybe
10 seconds. Then it continues to act slow. But I've also noticed that with
my other notebook.

Then all of a sudden it is speedy again. I've looked at task manager but the
only thing it identifies as taking up a lot of CPU is "system idle process."

Mel

From: RnR on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:36:54 -0400, "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for all your helpful responses.
>Based on those responses, I see no reason to get a new modem.
>
>I still have no idea what is causing the occassional CRAWLING.
>
>One thing I've noticed: the fan is often on when this is happening. Can my
>computer be running too hot (ie: could those be symptoms of a computer
>running too hot?).
>
>Basically, what happens is I click on a page and nothing happens for maybe
>10 seconds. Then it continues to act slow. But I've also noticed that with
>my other notebook.
>
>Then all of a sudden it is speedy again. I've looked at task manager but the
>only thing it identifies as taking up a lot of CPU is "system idle process."
>
>Mel

Sometimes I also check the memory useage as well as cpu.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: problem with my wireless card
Next: POSSIBLE MODEMS