From: RnR on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:25:33 -0400, "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net>
wrote:

>I got the email below from Charter. About 15 months ago I got tired of
>paying their $5/month modem charge and bought a new (reconditioned) lynksys
>modem. It works great but I have noticed that things are a tad slower of
>late. But I don't know if this is accurate, or just a sales pitch. Is there
>some way to test this?
>
>Mel
>

> Things are getting faster all the time and we're here to keep you up
>to speed.
>
> Based on your account information, you have an older modem that is no
>longer optimizing your Charter Internet experience.
>
> It is important for you to take action and replace your modem. This
>ensures that you continue to receive the fastest and most reliable Internet
>speeds available?.
>
> To help make this process easy, you can lease a new modem for only
>$5/mo or purchase a replacement. Click the link below to get started.
>

> REPLACE YOUR MODEM NOW >
>
> Thank you for choosing Charter. We look forward to many more years of
>delivering you the best Internet experience.
>

> Sincerely,
> The Charter Internet Team

Sounds like bs but check out dslreports.com . That's probably the
best source to get to the truth.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> But I don't know if this is accurate, or just a sales pitch. Is there
> some way to test this?

You can use an online speed test against a server that is relatively
close to you.

Most cable modems have an informational web page that you can use to
see what the current data rate is for both upstream and downstream
communications. It is accessible at http://192.168.100.1/ for most
models. You are looking for your "provisioned rate" and there will
likely be two values--upstream (lower for uploads from you to the
'net) and downstream (higher from the 'net to you).

> Based on your account information, you have an older modem that
> is no longer optimizing your Charter Internet experience.

Which may or may not be true. To know for sure, you need to know the
specifications to which your modem complies. The standard (in the US)
is known as DOCSIS and there are varying versions of it. Each one
specifies different capabilities.

What Linksys modem do you have? Model and version number are both
important.

Even if your modem is older, it's likely still doing a fine job. I've
got a 12 megabit connection over my Linksys BEFCMU10 and it's rare
that I can download anything that fast outside of speed tests and
Microsoft's web sites.

Cable modems receive their parameters at startup via trivial FTP. The
cable company sends these parameters out and then (usually) reboots
the modem to force it to update the parameters.

Therefore, you may try rebooting your modem to force it to download
the new parameters.

William
From: MZB on
William:

Actually, I checked further and I didn't order it that long ago. It's the
linksys CM100, refurbished from Buy.com for $27.99. I got it in early
November, so I've only had it for 5 months.

Is that enough information to tell you that it is okay? I remember at the
time checking with Charter and the DOCSIS for the modem was compatible with
their setup.

I suspect Charter is upgrading and maybe the DOCSIS is no longer compatible
(ie: recommended)?

Mel

From: MZB on
I meant to add this modem is DOCSIS 2.0

From: RnR on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:44:12 -0400, "MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net>
wrote:

>William:
>
>Actually, I checked further and I didn't order it that long ago. It's the
>linksys CM100, refurbished from Buy.com for $27.99. I got it in early
>November, so I've only had it for 5 months.
>
>Is that enough information to tell you that it is okay? I remember at the
>time checking with Charter and the DOCSIS for the modem was compatible with
>their setup.
>
>I suspect Charter is upgrading and maybe the DOCSIS is no longer compatible
>(ie: recommended)?
>
>Mel

You know one reason to get their modem aside from your issue is from
my experience, if you have a lightening strike or surge, if it gets
fried, they replace it for free. You might want to ask about that and
reconsider if they do the same.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: problem with my wireless card