From: Ben Myers on
On 4/7/2010 12:44 PM, MZB wrote:
> William:
>
> Actually, I checked further and I didn't order it that long ago. It's the
> linksys CM100, refurbished from Buy.com for $27.99. I got it in early
> November, so I've only had it for 5 months.
>
> Is that enough information to tell you that it is okay? I remember at the
> time checking with Charter and the DOCSIS for the modem was compatible with
> their setup.
>
> I suspect Charter is upgrading and maybe the DOCSIS is no longer compatible
> (ie: recommended)?
>
> Mel
>

> "William R. Walsh"<wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>>> But I don't know if this is accurate, or just a sales pitch. Is there
>>> some way to test this?
>>
>> You can use an online speed test against a server that is relatively
>> close to you.
>>
>> Most cable modems have an informational web page that you can use to
>> see what the current data rate is for both upstream and downstream
>> communications. It is accessible at http://192.168.100.1/ for most
>> models. You are looking for your "provisioned rate" and there will
>> likely be two values--upstream (lower for uploads from you to the
>> 'net) and downstream (higher from the 'net to you).
>>
>>> Based on your account information, you have an older modem that
>>> is no longer optimizing your Charter Internet experience.
>>
>> Which may or may not be true. To know for sure, you need to know the
>> specifications to which your modem complies. The standard (in the US)
>> is known as DOCSIS and there are varying versions of it. Each one
>> specifies different capabilities.
>>
>> What Linksys modem do you have? Model and version number are both
>> important.
>>
>> Even if your modem is older, it's likely still doing a fine job. I've
>> got a 12 megabit connection over my Linksys BEFCMU10 and it's rare
>> that I can download anything that fast outside of speed tests and
>> Microsoft's web sites.
>>
>> Cable modems receive their parameters at startup via trivial FTP. The
>> cable company sends these parameters out and then (usually) reboots
>> the modem to force it to update the parameters.
>>
>> Therefore, you may try rebooting your modem to force it to download
>> the new parameters.
>>
>> William

FYI, the Linksys CM100 complies with the DOCSIS 2.0 spec, not the newer
3.0... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> FYI, the Linksys CM100 complies with the DOCSIS 2.0 spec, not
> the newer 3.0... Ben Myers

From a cursory examination, it appears that the biggest thing about
DOCSIS 3.0 is IPv6 support. This could always be added in software,
but with the tendency to sell a new device instead of patching the old
ones with new software, I don't know how it will play out.

The DOCSIS standard itself appears to be one of the few (and
beautiful!) standards where compatibility is available in all
directions (less features that aren't provided with an older revision
of the standard.

William
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> FYI, the Linksys CM100 complies with the DOCSIS 2.0 spec, not
>> the newer 3.0... Ben Myers
>
> From a cursory examination, it appears that the biggest thing about
> DOCSIS 3.0 is IPv6 support. This could always be added in software,
> but with the tendency to sell a new device instead of patching the old
> ones with new software, I don't know how it will play out.
>
> The DOCSIS standard itself appears to be one of the few (and
> beautiful!) standards where compatibility is available in all
> directions (less features that aren't provided with an older revision
> of the standard.
>
> William

FWIW: Comcast - my esteemed <ahem> ISP - only requires a DOCSIS 3.0
modem if you are using its ultra-high-speed service. Unless someone is
desperate for ways to waste their money, a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is all they
need.

Daddy
From: Ben Myers on
On 4/8/2010 1:42 PM, Daddy wrote:
> William R. Walsh wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> FYI, the Linksys CM100 complies with the DOCSIS 2.0 spec, not
>>> the newer 3.0... Ben Myers
>>
>> From a cursory examination, it appears that the biggest thing about
>> DOCSIS 3.0 is IPv6 support. This could always be added in software,
>> but with the tendency to sell a new device instead of patching the old
>> ones with new software, I don't know how it will play out.
>>
>> The DOCSIS standard itself appears to be one of the few (and
>> beautiful!) standards where compatibility is available in all
>> directions (less features that aren't provided with an older revision
>> of the standard.
>>
>> William
>
> FWIW: Comcast - my esteemed <ahem> ISP - only requires a DOCSIS 3.0
> modem if you are using its ultra-high-speed service. Unless someone is
> desperate for ways to waste their money, a DOCSIS 2.0 modem is all they
> need.
>
> Daddy

That's consistent with Charter's line. But, yeah, my DOCSIS 3.0
Motorola Surfboard SB6120 does make a difference in speed. I'm not
making this up. And since I routinely download large ISO files to keep
my Linux distro collection up to date, the speed is good... Ben Myers
From: MZB on
Ben:

When you talk about speed, I assume you are talking about upload/download
speed.
I really don't d/l stuff.

BUT, I do find at times things slow down to a CRAWL. I am talking about
going from one site to anotger (websurfing). Everything just almost freezes.
Most of the time, this is not the case and things move along just fine. Do
you think an upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem would solve that problem?

Mel

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 4/7/2010 10:25 AM, MZB wrote:
>> I got the email below from Charter. About 15 months ago I got tired of
>> paying their $5/month modem charge and bought a new (reconditioned)
>> lynksys
>> modem. It works great but I have noticed that things are a tad slower of
>> late. But I don't know if this is accurate, or just a sales pitch. Is
>> there
>> some way to test this?
>>
>> Mel
>>

>> Things are getting faster all the time and we're here to keep you
>> up
>> to speed.
>>
>> Based on your account information, you have an older modem that is
>> no
>> longer optimizing your Charter Internet experience.
>>
>> It is important for you to take action and replace your modem.
>> This
>> ensures that you continue to receive the fastest and most reliable
>> Internet
>> speeds available?.
>>
>> To help make this process easy, you can lease a new modem for only
>> $5/mo or purchase a replacement. Click the link below to get started.
>>

>> REPLACE YOUR MODEM NOW>
>>
>> Thank you for choosing Charter. We look forward to many more years
>> of
>> delivering you the best Internet experience.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> The Charter Internet Team
>>

> Well, good old bankrupt Chapter 11 Charter DID upgrade the speed of its
> service here in central MA, and it was done free of charge. Supposedly,
> you need a DOCSIS 3.0-compliant cable modem to actually get the high
> speed. But other people here in town continue to use older Motorola
> Surfboards like the SB4100, and they report faster speeds. Feeling flush
> with cash, I spent less than $100 for a Motorola SB6120 cable modem,
> putting my old SB4100 aside, and yes, it is faster.
>
> Here is what I suggest. Go to www.dslreports.com and run a few of the
> various speed tests there, and see what speed you are getting versus the
> alleged speed advertised by Charter. Then make a decision based on fact,
> not being pushed by Charter or swayed by the experience of someone else in
> possibly different circumstances... Ben Myers

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: problem with my wireless card
Next: POSSIBLE MODEMS