From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:36:33 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 11:17 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> See below...

>>> Those were not the terms of the bet, so when I produce proof that the
>>> design (not the encoding) of my UTF-8 recognizer is the fastest possible
>>> design you will owe me $100. If it is not the fastest possible design
>>> then you owe me nothing. Alternatively If it works correctly and is
>>> fast, but, is not the fastest possible design you will owe me $50.
>> ****
>> A design does not execute, so there is no such concept as a "fastest possible design".
>> There can ONLY be a "fastest possible implementation". This means that the only
>> expression of a design for which performance can be measured is compilable and executable
>> code in a language of your choice. For example, I can implement a design which uses an
>> indexed table by using a LISP ASSOC structure to do the table lookup, and it will not be a
>> particularly good performance implementation of the design. A hand-tuned assembly-code
>> version might give excellent performance of the same design.
>> joe
>
>A design accurately meets the original specification of "anything"
>representing my claims.
****
A design can meet a specification, but a design is not executable, and therefore there is
no proof that one of the many possible implementations based on the design is necessarily
the fastest. The point here is that you cannot make assertions about relative performance
of two programs unless you have running code that represents each of the possible
implementations of the design. Only by measuring running code can you make a claim about
performance. Nothing else matters. I can write a LISP implementation of your "fastest
possible design" that implements that design precisely and which runs several orders of
magnitude slower than the design would suggest. Yet it would meet the design precisely.
joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/20/2010 12:55 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:36:33 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2010 11:17 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>>> See below...

>>> ****
>>> A design does not execute, so there is no such concept as a "fastest possible design".
>>> There can ONLY be a "fastest possible implementation". This means that the only
>>> expression of a design for which performance can be measured is compilable and executable
>>> code in a language of your choice. For example, I can implement a design which uses an
>>> indexed table by using a LISP ASSOC structure to do the table lookup, and it will not be a
>>> particularly good performance implementation of the design. A hand-tuned assembly-code
>>> version might give excellent performance of the same design.
>>> joe
>>
>> A design accurately meets the original specification of "anything"
>> representing my claims.
> ****
> A design can meet a specification, but a design is not executable, and therefore there is
> no proof that one of the many possible implementations based on the design is necessarily
> the fastest. The point here is that you cannot make assertions about relative performance

The original bet required no proof, it was wide open only requiring
"anything" representing my claims. You still have this original bet
deeply quoted above.

From: Pete Delgado on

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> On 5/19/2010 12:09 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> I just posted the complete detailed design of the UTF-8 recognizer. The
>>> code will follow within a week. The only thing that needs to be added to
>>> this design is the actual code the does the translation from UTF-8 to
>>> UTF-32.
>>
>> I'll be happy to look for the code on the 27th!
>>
>> -Pete
>>

> It may before then. I learned on a prior job that it is best to under
> promise and over deliver.

Peter,
I notice that you have not delivered on your promise and have not posted
your code. The 27th was chosen because it is a day *after* the week you
stated that you needed to complete the code.

Have you posted the code and I have simply missed it??

-Pete

From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/27/2010 12:15 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 5/19/2010 12:09 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> I'll be happy to look for the code on the 27th!
>>>
>>> -Pete
>>>

>> It may before then. I learned on a prior job that it is best to under
>> promise and over deliver.
>
> Peter,
> I notice that you have not delivered on your promise and have not posted
> your code. The 27th was chosen because it is a day *after* the week you
> stated that you needed to complete the code.
>
> Have you posted the code and I have simply missed it??
>
> -Pete

Something came up and I had to change priorities it is not quite done
yet. I have been working on it every day. Hector posted some code that
looked very good. It looks very well written and that it would be
somewhat faster than my code.
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de/utf-8/decoder/dfa/

When I post the link to my code you will be able to see that my
priorities are a little different with the code that I write. I don't
try to write the fastest possible code, I try to write the fastest
possible code within the higher priority of the clearest possible code.

It is very much easier to verify that my code is correct than it is to
verify that the code Hector posted is correct. I would have to say that
it is probably the clearest code that can be written within the higher
priority of fast code.
From: Pete Delgado on

>> Peter,
>> I notice that you have not delivered on your promise and have not posted
>> your code. The 27th was chosen because it is a day *after* the week you
>> stated that you needed to complete the code.
>>
>> Have you posted the code and I have simply missed it??
>>
>> -Pete
>>

> Something came up and I had to change priorities it is not quite done yet.
> I have been working on it every day. Hector posted some code that looked
> very good. It looks very well written and that it would be somewhat faster
> than my code.
> http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de/utf-8/decoder/dfa/
>
> When I post the link to my code you will be able to see that my priorities
> are a little different with the code that I write. I don't try to write
> the fastest possible code, I try to write the fastest possible code within
> the higher priority of the clearest possible code.
>
> It is very much easier to verify that my code is correct than it is to
> verify that the code Hector posted is correct. I would have to say that it
> is probably the clearest code that can be written within the higher
> priority of fast code.

Peter,
If you are attempting to write the clearest possible code, why do you
continually obsess over the "fastest possible" when referring to algorithms
and code? I think it's obvious to most here that you really don't know what
your priorities really are or at least they seem to change as often as the
wind blows.

There is a book called "Writing Solid Code" (Microsoft Press) that is a
short, easy read but very good on things like this. I suggest that you pick
it up if you have time and take a look at it. In particular, there is a
section where the author suggests that you write down your priorities in
order to ensure that you are actually working toward your highest priorities
first because some of your priorities may be mutually exclusive.

PS: It looks like you owe Hector $50... ;-)

-Pete