From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/28/2010 12:37 PM, Liviu wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...
>> On 5/28/2010 11:52 AM, Liviu wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...

>>> No, not that. Why do you have to _guess_ anyway? Just lower yourself
>>> to actually try and test it with any non-ASCII input.
>>
>> I have other priorities right now. I will exhaustively test it once I
>> derive the UTF32toUTF8 function. I need this function to generate
>> my test data.
>
> You really mean to generate test data using another (untested) function
> of yours? Brilliant.
>
> Liviu

This process has worked very efficiently and effectively for many years.
From: Pete Delgado on

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> On 5/28/2010 12:37 PM, Liviu wrote:

>>> I have other priorities right now. I will exhaustively test it once I
>>> derive the UTF32toUTF8 function. I need this function to generate
>>> my test data.
>>
>> You really mean to generate test data using another (untested) function
>> of yours? Brilliant.
>>
>> Liviu
>>

> This process has worked very efficiently and effectively for many years.

ROTFL!

-Pete

From: Peter Olcott on
On 5/28/2010 12:37 PM, Liviu wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...
>> On 5/28/2010 11:52 AM, Liviu wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...

>>> No, not that. Why do you have to _guess_ anyway? Just lower yourself
>>> to actually try and test it with any non-ASCII input.
>>
>> I have other priorities right now. I will exhaustively test it once I
>> derive the UTF32toUTF8 function. I need this function to generate
>> my test data.
>
> You really mean to generate test data using another (untested) function
> of yours? Brilliant.
>
> Liviu

If I generate every possible valid CodePoint and translate to and from
UTF-8 and get the same value that I send in back out this will prove
with very high reliability that both functions are correct.
From: Peter Olcott on

From: Liviu on
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote...
> On 5/28/2010 12:37 PM, Liviu wrote:

>>> I have other priorities right now. I will exhaustively test it once
>>> I derive the UTF32toUTF8 function. I need this function to generate
>>> my test data.
>>
>> You really mean to generate test data using another (untested)
>> function of yours? Brilliant.
>
> If I generate every possible valid CodePoint and translate to and from
> UTF-8 and get the same value that I send in back out this will prove
> with very high reliability that both functions are correct.

....and the following code demonstrates my novel implementation of the
increment/decrement arithmetic, provably faster than all prior art, and
which I deem to be correct "with very high reliability" ;-)

inline int inc(int n) { return n; }
inline int dec(int n) { return n; }

int main(void)
{
for(int n = 0; ++n; )
if(n != inc(dec(n)) || n != dec(inc(n)))
return -1; // failed
return 0; // verified ok
}

Liviu