From: Jack on
Big Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:06:55 -0800, "relic" <relic2(a)cjb.net> wrote:
>
>> Big Bill wrote:
>>> I read where you can stop/disable some services on XP and make it
>>> run quicker. I stopped/disabled a few. Now I no longer have the copy
>>> to/move to facility available in my right click menu and I get an
>>> alert box with system blah blah isass.exe come up when I boot up.
>>> If I click OK on it while the system's rebooting, the system
>>> reboots again. If I let the system completely reboot all the way
>>> up, then click OK on the alert, the alert box disappears and I can
>>> carry on as normal. I've done some research, run a couple of tests,
>>> anti-viruses, and this doesn't appear to be a virus. Looks like I
>>> messed up the OS (I can hear the cries of, "Well, duh!!!" from here
>>> :-)).
>>> Anyone got any idea how I can put this right please? I can live with
>>> it but it's annoying, and also I miss the copy to/move to facility,
>>> it's useful. I'd like to restore that if I can.
>>> You're going to ask, which services did you stop/disable? I forget.
>>> The list is off Robin Good's page though,
>>> http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04/12/slow_computer_speed_up_your.htm
>>>
>>> I did some of them, can't remember which ones though.
>>>
>>> I'm on XPPRO SP3. Any help appreciated. :-)
>>
>> Burn your PC. You're dangerous.
>
> And that helps a lot.

Did you consider that he may be correct? What you did was incredibly
S-T-U-P-I-D. Got that?

From: Big Bill on
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:07:02 -0800, "Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:

>>> Burn your PC. You're dangerous.
>>
>> And that helps a lot.
>
>Did you consider that he may be correct? What you did was incredibly
>S-T-U-P-I-D. Got that?

Yup. Doesn't help either.

BB
From: meerkat on

"Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote in message
> Big Bill wrote:

Go to blackvipers page http://www.blackviper.com/

and d/load the XP SP3 pack, it`ll help you set up your Services bill.

bw..meerkat

From: Big Bill on
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:17:51 -0000, "meerkat"
<waiting(a)meerkatmanor.com> wrote:

>"Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote in message
>> Big Bill wrote:

>Go to blackvipers page http://www.blackviper.com/
>
>and d/load the XP SP3 pack, it`ll help you set up your Services bill.
>
>bw..meerkat

Ah, that's good thanks, I didn't get any joy really from the others.
Interestingly for the observers here I had a look at msconfig, just to
see what I could see, didn't alter anything as I couldn't see anything
amiss, rebooted and was stuck in safe mode. Tried rebooting into mot
recent working config, still safe mode. System Restore didn't seem to
be working, I got the message where it says it can't protect your
computer which usually means it wasn't turned on. I used Barts to get
in under the radar and restored a backed up copy of the registry
(ERUNT). That simply made no difference. Hmmmm. Perplexed me a bit,
that. I ran Spybot which found a dialer which I got rid of but that
made no difference, I then ran malwarebytes which made no difference
either but I did notice I had loads of backups for system restore,
snapshots etc. Odd if it wasn't working! I ran msconfig in safe mode
and tried system restore from there. It was working from there! It got
my machine running again. How odd that SR worked and ERUNT didn't -
what does that signify, anyone?

BB
From: nooneyouknow on
Big Bill wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:17:51 -0000, "meerkat"
> <waiting(a)meerkatmanor.com> wrote:
>

>> "Jack" <nospam(a)invalid.not> wrote in message

>> Go to blackvipers page http://www.blackviper.com/
>>
>> and d/load the XP SP3 pack, it`ll help you set up your Services bill.
>>
>> bw..meerkat
>
> Ah, that's good thanks, I didn't get any joy really from the others.
> Interestingly for the observers here I had a look at msconfig, just to
> see what I could see, didn't alter anything as I couldn't see anything
> amiss, rebooted and was stuck in safe mode. Tried rebooting into mot
> recent working config, still safe mode. System Restore didn't seem to
> be working, I got the message where it says it can't protect your
> computer which usually means it wasn't turned on. I used Barts to get
> in under the radar and restored a backed up copy of the registry
> (ERUNT). That simply made no difference. Hmmmm. Perplexed me a bit,
> that. I ran Spybot which found a dialer which I got rid of but that
> made no difference, I then ran malwarebytes which made no difference
> either but I did notice I had loads of backups for system restore,
> snapshots etc. Odd if it wasn't working! I ran msconfig in safe mode
> and tried system restore from there. It was working from there! It got
> my machine running again. How odd that SR worked and ERUNT didn't -
> what does that signify, anyone?

It signifies that relic was right; you're dangerous.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Disabling Auto Arrange
Next: Windows XP to Windows 7