From: Nick on

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:19:30 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
<remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nick,
>
>He has a 24" monitor. XPS 9000 has 8 GB memory, 2 HDs and I think 1000 MB
>video card.
>
>I've always regarded the Wattage value as what the UPS can handle after the
>power has failed. I might be wrong but I'd expect his UPS to handle several
>computers while there was power but to be pretty limited if there was a
>blackout. But your experience is different.
>
>My previous UPS behaved like yours when it became "sick". The battery was
>fully charged but it wouldn't power the computer for even a second when
>there was a blackout. It lasted one month beyond the warranty.

You make a very good point: if it was just a problem with exceeding the
battery capacity, my UPS should only have had problems during power outages.

Very strange: the UPS is four and a half years old, but I put a new battery
in it last year and it worked perfectly with the old computer up until the
day I moved the old computer to another UPS and put the new computer on this
one. So maybe some of the electronics have deteriorated with age and it
just can't handle the higher demands of the new computer and monitor.

Anyway: moving the monitor to another outlet so the computer is the only
thing on a battery-backup outlet seems to have stopped the power problems
for the time being. The new, higher capacity UPS will be here tomorrow, and
that should (knock on wood...) solve the problem permanently.

(Baltimore gets its share of thunderstorms, and brief power outages and
power fluctuations happen periodically, so I'm not too upset if this one is
failing after 4 1/2 years of good service (on a two year warranty).)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>
From: Brian K on

Nick, does your 4 1/2 year old UPS switch to battery mode if it is connected
to a small computer and you pull the power plug?

From: Nick on

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:39:48 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
<remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nick, does your 4 1/2 year old UPS switch to battery mode if it is connected
>to a small computer and you pull the power plug?

Well, I've never tested it by pulling the power plug, but it never had a
problem switching to battery (with the smaller computer) when the lights
went out here.

There were at least a couple of brief outages within the last month or so
before I got the new computer, and the UPS and (old, smaller) computer were
just fine.

Brief (several seconds to a minute or so) power outages happen here
occasionally, and this UPS never had a problem with them until I plugged the
new computer and monitor into it.

It's been a while since the last longer outage, but I know the UPS always
kept things going fine until I decided to shut down the computer manually
(I've never bothered waiting for the UPS software to shut the computer down
automatically).

In other words: the UPS always acted like a normal, properly functioning UPS
and did its job for 4 1/2 years, until I plugged the new computer and
monitor into it. :)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

.... And it was written in fiery pixels: FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS FOR ALL!!
From: Brian K on
Understood.

From: Tom Lake on

4> Anyway: moving the monitor to another outlet so the computer is the only
> thing on a battery-backup outlet seems to have stopped the power problems
> for the time being. The new, higher capacity UPS will be here tomorrow,
> and
> that should (knock on wood...) solve the problem permanently.

Also, the PS in the 9000 requires a true sine wave.
Even if the UPS capacity is ample, the computer
will quit if the PS is fed anything else.

Tom L