From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:21:20 +0100, Ronx <ronx917(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Agreed - but most of the _questions_ come from the web interface.
>Most of the answerers use NNTP.

Perhaps that is because the questions come from the less experienced
users who assume the web is the only way to access newsgroups while
the more experienced users were using NNTP before the web was
invented. I can't remember the relative timing of the web and
Frontpage.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: Bill Anderson on
Ronx wrote:
> Agreed - but most of the _questions_ come from the web interface.
> Most of the answerers use NNTP.
>
> In the last 25 threads in this group:
>
> 20 questions started from the web interface
> with 5 others:
> 1 announcement - the closure of the group
> 1 - farewell from Joe
> 3 - questions from Bliss, Rod and Toni
>
> --
> Ron Symonds
> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

Mostly as a lurker, I follow the discussions on
microsoft.public.frontpage.client using Thunderbird through Giganews. I
will miss tremendously the contributions of the Microsoft MVPs on this
and other microsoft.public newsgroups.

So I'm perplexed. Ron, if you used the web interface to put the message
above on Usenet where I could see it, why not simply continue doing what
you're doing? What does someone (Microsoft?) gain by closing the web
interface link to microsoft.public.frontpage.client? I suppose I'm
misunderstanding the situation, but to me it appears that presently
those who wish to use the web interface can be seen by those of us who
wish to use a usenet interface -- and vice versa. That's a good thing,
isn't it? But as I understand it, the web interface will continue as-is
but its discussions will stop appearing on Usenet. That's a bad thing,
isn't it?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
From: Jon Spivey on
Point is people asking questions are using the web while people who answer
questions use NNTP - syncing the two is very difficult and/or expensive.
MVPs (I was one in the dim and distant past) don't ask questions and a
newsgroup is nothing without questions to answer. So any forum needs to go
where the questions are.

The questions all come from the web

Cheers,
Jon

From: Ronx on
Microsoft are shutting down the msnews.microsoft.com news server. This effectively shuts down the web interface to these newsgroups, thus removing around 80% or more of the questions.

I, and other MVPs and regulars, use NNTP to access the newsgroups (not the web interface) so we will be cut off from those using the web, if that still runs - unlikely since it interfaces with the newsgroup database.

In fact, these FrontPage and Expression groups are being redirected to the Microsoft Answers and Expression forums, which can be accessed using a Bridge between the forum and newsreader - but Giganews and other news servers will not see as much as a glimmer of the posts.
If you have not seen the posts marking the end of the microsoft.public groups (some servers, including my ISP, delete them as SPAM) I have a lightly edited copy at http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx

"those who wish to use the web interface can be seen by those of us who wish to use a usenet interface -- and vice versa. That's a good thing,
isn't it? "

Yes, 100% agreement. But
<sarcasm>
real forums, with all the fripperies, points, medals and advertising, are better for you
</sarcasm>
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

Bill Anderson expressed precisely :

--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
This nesgroup is closing - see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 20:14:27 +0100, "Jon Spivey"
<js(a)nisusnewmedia.com> wrote:

>Point is people asking questions are using the web while people who answer
>questions use NNTP - syncing the two is very difficult and/or expensive.

Syncing can't be that difficult or expensive as there are other
discussion groups that are available on both NNTP newsgroups and web
forums at the same time.

ASP, AISIP, ESC and Softvelocity to name just four that I subscribe
to.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com