From: Woody on
On 30/07/2010 14:54, zoara wrote:
> Woody<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>> zoara<me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been on a 3G so am only dimly aware of the extra difficulties in
>>> jailbreaking a 3GS, thanks to signed firmware. Having looked into it
>>> further I'm no longer dimly aware, just confused.
>>>
>>> I'd like to buy a 3GS off eBay. Can anyone explain to me in plain
>>> English whether I need to get one that has already been jailbroken
>>> and
>>> had its ECID SHSH put on file with Cydia, or whether I can just buy
>>> anything and still jailbreak it? Do I need to get one that hasn't yet
>>> been upgraded to iOS 4?
>>
>> Don't know about the complication. When I jail broke mine, I just ran
>> the jail breaker and it was done.
>>

> Did you use Spirit, like Jaimie mentioned?
>
> It seems like the old SHSH stuff is out of date now. I'm obviously not
> keeping up.

No, it wasn't spirit, it was blackra1n and I used my iPhone jailbroken
until I wanted to use the betas of iPhone 4.

--
Woody
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On 30 Jul 2010 13:54:14 GMT, zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 28 Jul 2010 12:52:23 GMT, zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been on a 3G so am only dimly aware of the extra difficulties in
>>> jailbreaking a 3GS, thanks to signed firmware. Having looked into it
>>> further I'm no longer dimly aware, just confused.
>>>
>>> I'd like to buy a 3GS off eBay. Can anyone explain to me in plain
>>> English whether I need to get one that has already been jailbroken
>> > and
>>> had its ECID SHSH put on file with Cydia, or whether I can just buy
>>> anything and still jailbreak it? Do I need to get one that hasn't yet
>>> been upgraded to iOS 4?
>>
>> Any previously/currently jailbroken one will be fine, on any OS.
>
>Regardless of whether the user elected to save their SHSH blobs through
>Cydia? If they jailbroke then updated to iOS4 the "normal" way in order
>to sell it, could I end up unable to jailbreak again?

Yes, you're right there. If they updated to 4 au naturelle (which
updates the baseband phone firmware) *and* didn't store their SHSH's
which would allow you to take it back to 3.1.x, then you're stuck.

But Cydia does store the SHSH's automatically, so you're *probably*
pretty safe with any phone that has been jb'd in the past.

>> Any 3Gs on IPhoneOS 3.x can be jailbroken with Spirit.
>
>Nice. Didn't know that (I've always used the Dev Team jailbreaker).

Me too for mine, but I've done other people's with Spirit.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Yrlsqb nx sobshuggum illingoon. Mark my words!" - Cyril Q Kornbluth
From: Gwynne Harper on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> I'd like to buy a 3GS off eBay. Can anyone explain to me in plain
> English whether I need to get one that has already been jailbroken and
> had its ECID SHSH put on file with Cydia, or whether I can just buy
> anything and still jailbreak it? Do I need to get one that hasn't yet
> been upgraded to iOS 4?

Try this:
<http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/>

Gwynne
--
My real email is net, not line.
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:25:04 +0300, g.harper(a)gmx.line (Gwynne Harper)
wrote:

>zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to buy a 3GS off eBay. Can anyone explain to me in plain
>> English whether I need to get one that has already been jailbroken and
>> had its ECID SHSH put on file with Cydia, or whether I can just buy
>> anything and still jailbreak it? Do I need to get one that hasn't yet
>> been upgraded to iOS 4?
>
>Try this:
><http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/>

They have an entry for iOS4 on the iPhone 2g... bet that runs like a
dead dog!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Come now, my child, if we were planning to harm you, do you think
we'd be lurking here, beside the path, in the very darkest part of
From: SteveH on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:25:04 +0300, g.harper(a)gmx.line (Gwynne Harper)
> wrote:
>
> >zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to buy a 3GS off eBay. Can anyone explain to me in plain
> >> English whether I need to get one that has already been jailbroken and
> >> had its ECID SHSH put on file with Cydia, or whether I can just buy
> >> anything and still jailbreak it? Do I need to get one that hasn't yet
> >> been upgraded to iOS 4?
> >
> >Try this:
> ><http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/>
>
> They have an entry for iOS4 on the iPhone 2g... bet that runs like a
> dead dog!

AIUI, the 2G is the same spec as a 3G, only the 3G has the 3G phone
chip, IYSWIM.

It's not fantastic on the 3G, but I'm now reluctant to go back.

Been getting very tempted by the Three deals on 4G phones, but until I
know I can unlock the phone, I don't want to take the plunge.
--
SteveH