From: Mark on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:19:15 +0100, SteveH wrote
(in article <1jmhu5x.54dbq7857npcN%italiancar(a)gmail.com>):

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:25:04 +0300, g.harper(a)gmx.line (Gwynne Harper)
>> wrote:

>>> Try this:
>>> <http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/>
>>
>> They have an entry for iOS4 on the iPhone 2g... bet that runs like a
>> dead dog!
>
> AIUI, the 2G is the same spec as a 3G, only the 3G has the 3G phone
> chip, IYSWIM.
>
> It's not fantastic on the 3G, but I'm now reluctant to go back.
>
> Been getting very tempted by the Three deals on 4G phones, but until I
> know I can unlock the phone, I don't want to take the plunge.

Did you go the 'fresh' 4.0.1 install route? Mine is no slower with 4.0.1 than
3.1.2. I've just jailbroken it too without issue.

Mark

From: SteveH on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > AIUI, the 2G is the same spec as a 3G, only the 3G has the 3G phone
> > chip, IYSWIM.
> >
> > It's not fantastic on the 3G, but I'm now reluctant to go back.
> >
> > Been getting very tempted by the Three deals on 4G phones, but until I
> > know I can unlock the phone, I don't want to take the plunge.
> >
> Did you go the 'fresh' 4.0.1 install route? Mine is no slower with 4.0.1 than
> 3.1.2. I've just jailbroken it too without issue.

No, I didn't.

But I'm going to do it this afternoon.

It's 'factory unlocked' by O2, so that's one less thing to worry about.
--
SteveH
From: Steve Firth on
SteveH <italiancar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Been getting very tempted by the Three deals on 4G phones, but until I
> know I can unlock the phone, I don't want to take the plunge.

`<clickety-click>

Jings, you're right.

Last week Orange advertised �45 a month, 18 month contract, free 32Gb
iPhony 4. I tried to order it and the website crashed. When I rang the
help line number I got a "no such number" response and when I dialled
150 from an Orange phone I was told that no such deal exists, ever
existed or will ever exist (despite me having a screen dump of the page
in question).

So, Orange can stick their phone and I'll look at one from 3. There
isn't a huge difference in monthly cost BTW just enought o make it
worthwhile, for similar plans (500 min 3 vs 600 minute Orange) 3 is
cheaper by �3 a month - �37.88 for 3, �40.63 for Orange[1][2].

[1] I've assumed that the price paid for the iPhone is written off over
the life of the contract and have added that amount to the total
payments over the life of the phone.

[2] Orange want an extra �12 a month for insurance [3].

[3] protectyourbubble.com offer iPhone insurance at �6.99 a month with a
�75 excess for loss, �50 for other damage/theft. They include damage by
water. Has anyone used this scheme?
From: SteveH on
SteveH <italiancar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Did you go the 'fresh' 4.0.1 install route? Mine is no slower with 4.0.1
> > than 3.1.2. I've just jailbroken it too without issue.
>
> No, I didn't.
>
> But I'm going to do it this afternoon.
>
> It's 'factory unlocked' by O2, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Brilliant - it's like a new phone again.

Took a *long* time to go through the whole process - not assisted by my
iTunes folder residing on a USB drive connected to a G4 iBook acting as
a server in my office upstairs.
--
SteveH
From: Mark on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 22:47:36 +0100, SteveH wrote
(in article <1jmkhwy.tmawf6slwti7N%italiancar(a)gmail.com>):

> SteveH <italiancar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Did you go the 'fresh' 4.0.1 install route? Mine is no slower with 4.0.1
>>> than 3.1.2. I've just jailbroken it too without issue.
>>
>> No, I didn't.
>>
>> But I'm going to do it this afternoon.
>>
>> It's 'factory unlocked' by O2, so that's one less thing to worry about.
>
> Brilliant - it's like a new phone again.
>
> Took a *long* time to go through the whole process - not assisted by my
> iTunes folder residing on a USB drive connected to a G4 iBook acting as
> a server in my office upstairs.

Good stuff. I believe 4.1 will be along shortly too. The only downside so far
(& for me it's a big one) is that 'Snappy' that I bought off Cydia won't work
with iOS4. Being able to launch the camera from the lockscreen & use the
physical buttons to take pictures was brilliant.

Mark