From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi Henryk!

> I must be dense, but I do not seem to be able to use either this, nor
> the Microsoft bridges.

You must first enable the bridge in the web-forums. For more info see:
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/documentation

> I am using free Forte Agent (really old
> version) to access newsgroups. How do I configure it to use the
> bridge?

Then you should use my latest release (V15) which also supports an
(experimental) html2text converter! So the messages from the forum will
be converted into plain/text.

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/
From: Henryk Birecki on
Thanks Jochen,

I will certainly try the new version for text conversion. My problem
turned out to be really "dumb" One needs to configure the server in
the client as "localhost" or 127.0.0.1. I was configuring it to what I
saw in the MS "documentation". I must admit that I am not very network
oriented. The word "bridge" probably should have answered my issue,
but I did not make the connection till I saw the word "localhost" in
some other context (as an afterthought).

Cheers,
Henryk

From: David Lowndes on
>Then you should use my latest release (V15) which also supports an
>(experimental) html2text converter! So the messages from the forum will
>be converted into plain/text.

Hi Jochen,

I thought I'd give this new version with the plain text converter a go
in my preferred newsreader Agent 3.3, however I'm not seeing "plain"
text even with that new check box enabled. For example (cut down), it
appears as:

Agent 3 doesn't have any html rendering capability.

I'd expected all those tags to be removed and things like the quotes
and non-breaking spaces to be converted appropriately. Is that going
to be possible?

Dave
From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi David!

> Agent 3 doesn't have any html rendering capability.
>
> I'd expected all those tags to be removed and things like the quotes
> and non-breaking spaces to be converted appropriately. Is that going
> to be possible?

Thanks for this feedback!
Converting html into plain/text is not that easy... some feartures
already work, some not yet... we (Josef Poetzl) is working on this...

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/
From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi David!

I have found the problem... I was not correctly setting the UsePlainText
property after a restart. If you uncheck and check the CHekcBox in the
UI while the Bridge is running, it will work for the next (not
prefetched) articles.
It will be fixed in V16.

--
Greetings