From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:29:40 +0000, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:48:24 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
: wrote:
:
: >AF issues with the 7D. Unreal. One guy on Dpreview is on his 4th
: >unit, which seems to be ok. Maybe it's time for Canon to grab their
: >ankles and license Nikon's AF technology?
: >
: >http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=canon+7d+af+issues&meta=&aq=0&oq=canon+7d+af+&fp=ca7bc37eb6518610
:
:
: There is a fundamental problem with Canon's approach to autofocus in
: the EOS system. It was clearly and patiently explained on here some
: months ago by David Kilpatrick. At the root of it is Canon's choice
: of position for the AF sensors.
:
: It is possible to correct the problem by a very careful calibration of
: the camera and lens - together. It needs to be done precisely,
: otherwise there is a risk that it can make the problem worse. But if
: it is done properly, it solves the problem.
:
: This careful calibration is time consuming and therefore the technique
: does not suit the volume production of DSLRs.
:
: The problem is widespread. Several years ago I had my EOS 5D bodies
: calibrated. The technician stated that he believed as many as 70% of
: the EOS bodies that came in to his company for service and repair
: would have benefitted from autofocus recalibration. Most of them were
: sent in for other, unrelated work.

Which suggests, does it not, that the 5D's autofocus problem was so minor that
it went largely unnoticed?

Bob
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:37:46 -0500, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:29:40 +0000, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>: On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:48:24 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >AF issues with the 7D. Unreal. One guy on Dpreview is on his 4th
>: >unit, which seems to be ok. Maybe it's time for Canon to grab their
>: >ankles and license Nikon's AF technology?
>: >
>: >http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=canon+7d+af+issues&meta=&aq=0&oq=canon+7d+af+&fp=ca7bc37eb6518610
>:
>:
>: There is a fundamental problem with Canon's approach to autofocus in
>: the EOS system. It was clearly and patiently explained on here some
>: months ago by David Kilpatrick. At the root of it is Canon's choice
>: of position for the AF sensors.
>:
>: It is possible to correct the problem by a very careful calibration of
>: the camera and lens - together. It needs to be done precisely,
>: otherwise there is a risk that it can make the problem worse. But if
>: it is done properly, it solves the problem.
>:
>: This careful calibration is time consuming and therefore the technique
>: does not suit the volume production of DSLRs.
>:
>: The problem is widespread. Several years ago I had my EOS 5D bodies
>: calibrated. The technician stated that he believed as many as 70% of
>: the EOS bodies that came in to his company for service and repair
>: would have benefitted from autofocus recalibration. Most of them were
>: sent in for other, unrelated work.
>
>Which suggests, does it not, that the 5D's autofocus problem was so minor that
>it went largely unnoticed?

You could draw that conclusion, but the technician's view (and my own)
is that only a very small proportion of Canon DSLR owners know (or
care) enough to check their AF systems and have them rectified.

The vast majority of DSLR buyers either trust equipment reviews or
trust that their chosen brand is a good one, without ever questioning
their assumptions or testing their equipment to see if it lives up to
their expectations. If it's a Canon (or any other brand), it must be
good, eh?

So many DSLR owners just point and shoot without having even the
faintest idea of what their equipment does (or doesn't do) or why.
They would be better served by a cheap P+S compact camera, but they
want to appear "serious" so they *must* have a DSLR.

From: Bruce on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:44:52 -0500, "Larry Thong"
<larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> It is possible to correct the problem by a very careful calibration of
>> the camera and lens - together. It needs to be done precisely,
>> otherwise there is a risk that it can make the problem worse. But if
>> it is done properly, it solves the problem.
>>
>> This careful calibration is time consuming and therefore the technique
>> does not suit the volume production of DSLRs.
>
>LOL!! So what you're saying is Canon can't make a dSLR system with
>interchangeable lenses that will work properly and focus correctly?

No, some of them work just fine. Most of the rest either equal or
exceed the rock-bottom standards of their owners. Only photographers
who check autofocus accuracy will find any problems. And most
photographers unquestioningly trust their DSLRs, so never check them.

>I can put any Nikkor on my bodies and they focus perfectly every time. This is
>precious!!

I've also had problems with Nikon AF, but I must admit they were a
long time ago, with an F801 in 1989-92. Everything since then has
worked just fine.

From: Ray Fischer on
ransley <Mark_Ransley(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Jan 3, 12:00�am, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA �<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >AF issues with the 7D.
>>
>> Propaganda from the idiot troll.
>
>RF = " Fail ". is Google broke "mr forger" ? Do yourself an

The troll is getting to be incoherent.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
ransley <Mark_Ransley(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Jan 2, 4:48�pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> AF issues with the 7D. �Unreal. �One guy on Dpreview is on his 4th
>> unit, which seems to be ok. �Maybe it's time for Canon to grab their
>> ankles and license Nikon's AF technology?
>>
>> http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=canon+7d+af+issues&meta=&aq=0&oq=canon+...
>
>There are too many crybabys selling this thing to get honest responses
>here.

Certainly won't get any from you.

> Darwin Wiggett has an interesting review,

"Interesting" in that's it's highly suspect because he uses an odd
lens that won't do autofocus and doesn't provide any RAW images.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net