From: Sidhu on
Hello!

Recently I had to do a gig involving a setup of EAW KF850zf Tops and
SB1000 subs. 2 of each per side. Stacked on top of each other.
Indoors, reverberant room. The topmost top was included to essentially
get more coverage towards the far end of the room. The two tops, and
the two bins, per side, were each run parrelell.

They system was run 4 way (sub/low/mid/high) through 2 x XTA 226
Crossovers. I got the crossover settings to match the recomendations
(for the XTA) on the EAW website. The PA sounded very bad. I tried to
Eq it to sound better, but gained only marginal improvement.

I would have liked to blame the room... but only recently I did two
killer gigs, at the same venue, using the same system. However, the
system was not rigged by me on these two occasions, and was at a
further distance from the stage than the night i goofed it.

Grateful for any insights.

Regards,
Sidhu.

From: Sidhu on
PA sounded bad : Very low mid heavy. Lacking much of a top end. A lot
more intollerant to feedback than what my previous encounter was.
Monitors not in the equaltion.

Regards,
Sidhu

From: Rupert on

Sidhu wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Recently I had to do a gig involving a setup of EAW KF850zf Tops and
> SB1000 subs. 2 of each per side. Stacked on top of each other.
> Indoors, reverberant room. The topmost top was included to essentially
> get more coverage towards the far end of the room. The two tops, and
> the two bins, per side, were each run parrelell.
>
> They system was run 4 way (sub/low/mid/high) through 2 x XTA 226
> Crossovers. I got the crossover settings to match the recomendations
> (for the XTA) on the EAW website. The PA sounded very bad. I tried to
> Eq it to sound better, but gained only marginal improvement.
>
> I would have liked to blame the room... but only recently I did two
> killer gigs, at the same venue, using the same system. However, the
> system was not rigged by me on these two occasions, and was at a
> further distance from the stage than the night i goofed it.
>
> Grateful for any insights.
>
> Regards,
> Sidhu.

Are you certain that the amp sensitivities were properly setup for each
band pass? In other words, were they setup so that the drivers were
putting out equal SPL at a given distance with test signals? The sound
of the KF850's can be very unforgiving if the band pass aren't matched.
On second thought, that can be true of any speaker. But I digress. The
850z can be a very good sounding box, noticeably better then the
previous versions. But if there's a mismatch in driver outputs, you
could very well experience the issue you describe.

Rupert

From: Sidhu on
Thanks Rupert...

the amps being used for their operation were the 'Camco - Vortex6',
being driven at 4ohms, i would presume (do all drivers within the 850
cabnit have an 8ohms impedence?)

Levels being mismatched did often cross my mind, and though I was
unable to myself verify, on inspection (by the workers of the sound
company) i was thrice, during the gig, assured that all amps were
running at full power. I have reason enough to trust these boyz, share
a good repute with them.. but never know....

Sidhu

From: Sidhu on
I did not have any SPL meters at my disposal.. so cant really say if
all drivers were outputting equal SPL using noise.... Here they usually
just crank all amps full...