From: Kaimbridge on
I upgraded to a whole new PC last month (2.8 GHz, 80 GB, WinXP-HE
[SP2]).
The local computer store that sold me and set up the system,
installed "BitDefender 8 Standard" (30 day free trial) for
introductory anti-virus protection.
For a permanent anti-virus ("a-v") platform, the store is pushing
Norton 2005 ("N2K5") [when I got my original PC from them in 1997,
the suggestion--which I took--was McAfee, which I've found to be
bloated and somewhat buggy--though part of it may have been
exasperated by my 200 MHz, 2.1 GB dinosaur! P=) ].
Googling around, another a-v package that seems decent is Kaspersky
(is it pronounced "CASper Sky" or "Kass PERskee"?).
I asked about it at the computer store and supposedly they never
heard of Kaspersky: Given that it seems to be well known in the
computer geek circles (including major computer magazines), I find
the store's (supposed) lack of awareness rather suspect (though, in
that it is a Russian company and I haven't seen their products in
local stores, I suppose it *is* possible).
There is an added wrinkle, however.
On a couple of programs I've run, I've gotten the "16 bit MS-DOS
Subsystem" error box, "C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An
installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose
'Close' to terminate the application."
Doing a Google search, I see that it is the result of a
faulty/corrupt Symantec (i.e., Norton) register--HUH!!!: AFAIK I
*don't have any* Symantec programs/folders/files on my 'puter!
But, sure enough, while visiting the registry (regarding a separate
issue--see below), there *is* a Symantec registry folder!?!
I had been inclined to go along with the store's N2K5 recommendation
[though I'd probably get it at Wal-Mart, where it's $10-15 cheaper
P=) ], but the more I think about it, the more galling it becomes to
think that Symantec somehow had a folder (registry, yet!) preemtively
added to the system (once again, the computer store appeared clueless,
denying that they added it in during the setup, or even knew about it,
and even went so far as to say, "when you install N2K5, that should
clear things up"!).
The only other possibility I can think of is that it is somehow related
to and/or introduced by WinXP's SP2: The reason that I was in the
registry was that SP2 locked out WordPad's ability to load
"Word For Windows 6.0" ".doc" files, due to an apparent security hole.
Could SP2 have added the Symantec folder?
Or, is Norton the "unofficial" WinXP a-v program?

Or...
....am I just paranoid and there is a perfectly legitimate reason for
the
Symantec folder (i.e., some other, unrelated Symantec program)?

>From what I've read, Kaspersky appears at least as good as N2K5, though
there *is* one page of reviews that is less than flattering:

http://www.pcmag.com/member_ratings/0,1757,ss=0&s=1474&a=26455,00.asp

Have any newly discovered issues with Kaspersky come up?

Would it hurt to try their 30 day trial?--or, if I did decide to choose
N2K5 or something else (or even decide on Kaspersky), would all of the
leftover debris from the two trial versions (even after "uninstalling")
likely create any potential conflicts/issues?

~Kaimbridge~

-----
Wanted-Kaimbridge (w/mugshot!):
http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/digitology/Wanted_KMGC.html
----------
Digitology-The Grand Theory Of The Universe:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/digitology/index.html

***** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. *****

From: Ron Reaugh on
Use AVG from www.grisoft.com it's free. Don't even think about Symantec.

From: Allen L. on
In news:1119036031.004379.145030(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
Kaimbridge(a)gmail.com <Kaimbridge(a)gmail.com> typed:
> I upgraded to a whole new PC last month (2.8 GHz, 80 GB, WinXP-HE
> [SP2]).
> The local computer store that sold me and set up the system,
> installed "BitDefender 8 Standard" (30 day free trial) for
> introductory anti-virus protection.
> For a permanent anti-virus ("a-v") platform, the store is pushing
> Norton 2005 ("N2K5") <<snipped>>

As far a virus programs go there is a large difference between Norton and
say Symantec Corporate A.V.s

The corporate version Symantec Antivirus is as different as night and day
from Norton. They are both bloated in size as most all software seems to be
at present. Symantec is designed without the frills of Norton and is
business like in it's AV properties and does a very good job in my opinion.

....Allen

From: Bud on
A trial period is always a good option, whether of Kaspersky or...?
Although I've used Norton for many years, may I suggest for an
anti-virus that you also consider NOD23.
It is highly rated and within the same price of others - excepting the
freebies, of course. Good hunting.

Bud
From: Tony Meyer on
I use AVG 7.0 on my machine, and install it for customers a lot. I reckon
its a bloody good program, with far less bloat than Norton or Mcaffee. It
looks after itself, if its configured properly, I've found my customers
really enjoy not having to touch it, or very rarely, in which case i
normally get a phone call, and i can sort it for them over the phone. And
its free, so if your looking to save some bucks its right there.

--
Tony Meyer
CompUTec Computer & Network Services